In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chicken tagine with preserved lemon and artichokes
Dairy-Free, Mediterranean, Carb-Conscious, Paleo, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free
2 Servings, 480 Calories/Serving
Our signature blend of spices, which includes coriander and sweet paprika, creates layers of flavor in this one-pot chicken dish.
In your bag
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- Sun Basket tagine spice blend (coriander - sweet paprika - cumin - Aleppo chile flakes - ground ginger)
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 1 wedge preserved lemon
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- ¾ cup cooked quartered artichoke hearts
- 3 ounces organic baby spinach or other leafy greens
Preserved lemons are commonly used in North African and some Middle Eastern kitchens to flavor stews, salads, sauces, and more. A 12th-century Egyptian recipe describes a method similar to what is used today: slit the lemons, coat with salt, pack into a jar, cover them with lemon juice, and leave until pickled (the process takes about one month). The resulting lemons taste intensely tangy and just a little bit funky; generally the peel is used and the pulp is discarded.
Calories: 480, Protein: 35g (70% DV), Fiber: 8g (32% DV), Total Fat: 26g (40% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 13g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.5g, Saturated Fat: 6g (30% DV), Cholesterol: 155mg (52% DV), Sodium: 620mg (26% DV), Carbohydrates: 24g (8% DV), Total Sugars: 6g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and brown the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper and the tagine spice blend.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Peel and thinly slice enough onion to measure 1 cup [2 cups].
- Remove any pulp from the preserved lemon; thinly slice the peel.
Start the tagine
Add the chicken and any accumulated juices, tomatoes, and 1½ cups [2¼ cups] water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened, 10 to 12 minutes.
Finish the tagine
- Measure the onion.
- Measure the water for the tagine.
- Time the cooking.