Chicken teriyaki with bok choy and coconut rice
Paleo-Friendly, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free
30 – 40 Minutes
Sun Basket's paleo-friendly teriyaki chicken stir-fry is loaded with vegetables and comes with a fragrant but optional side of coconut rice.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- ½ pound broccoli crowns
- 3 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 1 or 2 heads baby bok choy
- 1¼ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast strips
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 3 ounces shredded carrots
- 1 orange
- Sun Basket teriyaki sauce base (coconut vinegar - coconut aminos - honey - coconut sugar - fresh ginger - fresh garlic)
- Fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
Cook the rice
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the rice.
While the rice cooks, prepare the stir-fry.
Prep the stir-fry vegetables
- Cut the broccoli crowns into 1-inch florets.
- Cut the mushrooms into quarters.
- Trim the root ends from the bok choy; cut the bok choy into 1-inch pieces.
Cook the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season lightly with salt and pepper.
In a large frying pan or wok over medium-high heat, warm 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, stirring once or twice, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate to rest. Do not clean the pan.
While the chicken cooks, prepare the garlic.
Prep the garlic; stir-fry the vegetables
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 2 teaspoons.
While the vegetables cook, prepare the teriyaki sauce.
Make the teriyaki sauce; finish the stir-fry
- Working over a small bowl, juice the orange (you should have ¼ cup juice; save any extra for another use, or add water if needed to reach ¼ cup). Add the teriyaki sauce base and stir until blended.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Chef’s tip: Here’s an easy way to get more juice out of the orange: before cutting it in half, roll it on the counter while pressing hard on the fruit.
- Rinse the rice.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Juice the orange and prepare the teriyaki sauce.
- Serve the meal.
- Compliment the chef.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 720, Protein: 43g, Total Fat: 29g, Monounsaturated Fat: 10g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.5g, Saturated Fat: 12g, Cholesterol: 105mg, Carbohydrates: 72g, Fiber: 6g, Sugar: 15g, Added Sugars (Honey; Coconut sugar): 5g, Sodium: 700mg