Chicken teriyaki with bok choy and coconut rice
Gluten Free, Dairy Free
30 - 40 Minutes
This recipe is a collaboration between Sun Basket and Food Network Chef Tyler Florence. Though the name is Japanese (teri means “shiny,” while yaki means “grilled”), teriyaki sauce originated in Hawaii. Store-bought brands can often contain high-fructose corn syrup and other artificial ingredients; our custom version is only mildly sweetened with honey and coconut sugar.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- ½ pound broccoli florets
- 3 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 1 or 2 heads baby bok choy
- 1¼ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast strips
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 3 ounces shredded carrots
- 1 orange
- Sun Basket teriyaki sauce base (gluten-free tamari - rice vinegar - Shaoxing rice wine - honey - coconut sugar - fresh ginger - fresh garlic)
- Fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
Cook the rice
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the rice.
While the rice cooks, prepare the stir-fry.
Prep the stir-fry vegetables
- Cut the broccoli florets in half lengthwise; cut any large florets into quarters.
- Cut the mushrooms into quarters.
- Trim the root ends from the bok choy; cut the bok choy into 1-inch pieces.
Cook the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season lightly with salt and pepper.
In a large frying pan or wok over medium-high heat, warm 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, stirring once or twice, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate to rest. Do not wipe out the pan.
While the chicken cooks, prepare the garlic.
Prep the garlic; stir-fry the vegetables
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 2 teaspoons.
While the vegetables cook, prepare the teriyaki sauce.
Make the teriyaki sauce; finish the stir-fry
- Working over a small bowl, juice the orange (you should have ¼ cup juice; save any extra for another use, or add water if needed to reach ¼ cup). Add the teriyaki sauce base and stir until blended.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- Rinse the rice.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Juice the orange and prepare the teriyaki sauce.
- Serve the meal.
- Compliment the chef.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 750, Protein: 45 g, Total Fat: 28 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 10 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4 g, Saturated Fat: 12 g, Cholesterol: 105 mg, Carbohydrates: 79 g, Fiber: 4 g, Added Sugar (Coconut Sugar): 10 g, Sodium: 1740 mg