Chicken tikka masala with basmati rice
Gluten Free, Soy Free
35 - 45 Minutes
Though the flavors are Indian, this is actually a British dish. An Indian restaurant in Glasgow, Scotland claims to have invented it when a customer complained that his chicken had no sauce. In Sun Basket’s spin, the take-out favorite gets an update with a rich but healthy Greek yogurt sauce and our custom Masala spice blend.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1¼ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast strips
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 2 lemons
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 yellow onion
- Fresh ginger
- Fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (optional)
- Masala spice blend (coriander - cumin - cardamom - garam masala - sweet paprika - nutmeg)
- ½ teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- Baby spinach
Cook the rice
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the rice.
While the rice cooks, marinate the chicken.
Make the marinade; marinate the chicken
- Cut a small corner of the chicken packaging and drain any excess liquid; pat the chicken dry with a paper towel, and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1½ teaspoons.
- Juice 1 lemon.
- Cut the other lemon into wedges for serving.
Prep the onion, ginger, and cilantro
- Peel and coarsely chop the yellow onion.
- Grate or peel and finely chop the ginger.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Brown the chicken
Make the sauce
Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Chef’s Tip Rinsing rice removes starches on the surface of the grains that cause clumping. You can give the rice quick rinse in a fine-mesh strainer under cold running water, or in a small bowl, cover the grains with cold water, swish a few times, strain, and repeat until the water runs clear.
- Rinse the rice.
- Juice the lemon.
- Sprinkle on the cilantro.
- Serve the meal.
- Wash the dishes.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 530, Protein: 36 g, Total Fat: 21 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 12 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5 g, Saturated Fat: 3.5 g, Cholesterol: 115 mg, Carbohydrates: 49 g, Fiber: 3 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 380 mg