In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chicken tikka masala with baby spinach and basmati rice
2 Servings, 710 Calories/Serving
Though the flavors are Indian, this is actually a British dish. An Indian restaurant in Glasgow, Scotland, claims to have invented it when a customer complained that his chicken had no sauce. In Sunbasket’s spin, the take-out favorite gets an update with a rich but healthy Greek yogurt marinade and our custom masala spice blend.
In your bag
- ½ cup basmati rice
- 10 ounces boneless skinless chicken thigh pieces
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1 yellow onion
- Fresh ginger
- Fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (optional)
- Masala spice blend (coriander - cumin - cardamom - garam masala - sweet paprika - nutmeg)
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- Baby spinach
Calories 710, Total Fat 35g (45% DV), Sat. Fat 5g (25% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 115mg (38% DV), Sodium 520mg (23% DV), Total Carb. 60g (22% DV), Fiber 5g (18% DV), Total Sugars 9g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 38g
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the rice.
While the rice cooks, marinate the chicken.
Make the marinade; marinate the chicken
- Cut a small corner from the chicken packaging; drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Juice half the lemon; cut half into wedges for garnish.
While the chicken marinates, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the onion, ginger, and cilantro
- Peel and coarsely chop the yellow onion.
- Grate or peel and finely chop the ginger.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Cook the chicken
Make the sauce
Add the chicken; cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat; fold in the spinach.