In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chicken tom kha gai soup with mushrooms, peppers, and Brussels sprouts
Carb-Conscious, Paleo, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
2 Servings, 450 Calories/Serving
A quintessential Thai dish brimming with a generous helping of vitamin-packed vegetables makes a soothing and healthful meal.
In your bag
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 organic white onion
- 5 ounces organic cremini or other button mushrooms
- ¼ pound organic sweet mini peppers
- ¼ pound organic Brussels sprouts
- Sun Basket lemongrass paste (lemongrass - EVOO - garlic - ginger - turmeric)
- 1 organic lime
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons sambal oelek (optional)
Calories: 450, Protein: 34g (68% DV), Fiber: 7g (28% DV), Total Fat: 23g (35% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 11g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 115mg (38% DV), Sodium: 160mg (7% DV), Carbohydrates: 29g (10% DV), Total Sugars: 11g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Tree Nuts (coconut)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and sear the chicken
Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Cut the chicken crosswise into ½-inch-thick strips; season generously with salt and pepper. In a large sauce pot over medium heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pot.
While the chicken browns, start preparing the vegetables.
Prep the vegetables
- Peel and thinly slice enough onion to measure 1 cup [2 cups].
- Cut the mushrooms into quarters.
- Remove the stems and seeds from the sweet mini peppers; cut the peppers into 1-inch pieces.
- Trim the ends from the Brussels sprouts. Cut the sprouts in half lengthwise; cut any large sprouts into quarters.
Start the tom kha gai
Add the sweet mini peppers, Brussels sprouts, and chicken and any accumulated juices and bring to a boil. Reduce to a vigorous simmer, cover, and cook until the vegetables are just tender and the chicken is cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes.
While the tom kha gai simmers, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients; finish the tom kha gai
- Juice half the lime; cut half into wedges for garnish. [Juice 1 lime; cut 1 lime into wedges.]
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- Measure the onion.
- Measure the water for the soup.
- Juice the lime.
- Garnish the soup with cilantro.