In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chicken tortilla soup with queso fresco and lime
Lean & Clean, Soy-Free, Gluten-Free, Carb-Conscious, Mediterranean
2 Servings, 450 Calories/Serving
This one-pot meal is inspired by Executive Chef Justine Kelly’s holiday tradition of making tortilla soup with leftover Thanksgiving turkey.
In your bag
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 cup organic mirepoix (onions - carrots - celery)
- Sun Basket Santa Fe spice blend (cumin - dried Mexican oregano - ancho chile powder - granulated garlic)
- ¾ cup diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 organic lime
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- 1½ ounces queso fresco
- Tortilla chips (for garnish)
Calories: 450, Protein: 27g (54% DV), Fiber: 6g (24% DV), Total Fat: 24g (37% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 7g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Saturated Fat: 6g (30% DV), Cholesterol: 110mg (37% DV), Sodium: 640mg (27% DV), Carbohydrates: 33g (11% DV), Total Sugars: 6g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Start the soup
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
Add the chicken, tomatoes, and 2¼ cups [4½ cups] water and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon or tongs, transfer the chicken to a plate to cool, then using a fork, shred the chicken.
While the chicken cools, continue cooking the tomato broth at a low simmer and prepare the garnishes.
Prep the garnishes; finish the soup
- Cut the lime into wedges.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- Measure the water for the soup.
- Shred the chicken.
- Add the shredded chicken to the soup.
- Crumble the queso fresco.
- Customize their own soup.