In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chicken tortilla soup with queso fresco and lime
Mediterranean, Carb-Conscious, Lean & Clean, Soy-Free, Gluten-Free
2 Servings, 500 Calories/Serving
This one-pot meal is inspired by Executive Chef Justine Kelly’s holiday tradition of making tortilla soup with leftover Thanksgiving turkey.
In your bag
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 cup organic mirepoix (onions - carrots - celery)
- Sun Basket Santa Fe spice blend (cumin - dried Mexican oregano - ancho chile powder - granulated garlic)
- ¾ cup diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 organic lime
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- 1½ ounces queso fresco
- Tortilla chips (for garnish)
Calories: 500, Protein: 37g (74% DV), Fiber: 6g (24% DV), Total Fat: 27g (42% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 5g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Saturated Fat: 7g (35% DV), Cholesterol: 160mg (53% DV), Sodium: 550mg (23% DV), Carbohydrates: 32g (11% DV), Total Sugars: 6g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the chicken; start the soup
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
In a large sauce pot over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil until hot but not smoking. Add the mirepoix, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in the Santa Fe spice blend and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Cook and shred the chicken
Add the chicken, tomatoes, and 2¼ cups [4½ cups] water and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon or tongs, transfer the chicken to a plate to cool, then using a fork, shred the chicken. While the chicken is cooling, continue cooking the tomato broth at a low simmer and prepare the garnishes.
Prep the garnishes; finish the soup
- Cut the lime into wedges.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
To the pot with the tomato broth, stir in the shredded chicken and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the soup to individual bowls. Crumble the queso fresco on top and garnish with the tortilla chips and cilantro. Serve with the lime wedges.
- Measure the water for the soup.
- Shred the chicken.
- Add the shredded chicken to the soup.
- Crumble the queso fresco.
- Customize their own soup.