Shanghai chicken wings with ginger-lime dipping sauce
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo
35 – 50 Minutes
These roasted chicken wings are so crisp you’ll swear they were fried, thanks to Chef Justine’s genius paleo, gluten-free trick. (The secret ingredient is baking powder.)
In your bag
- 1¼ pounds chicken wings
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger
- 1 or 2 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- 1 lime
- Dipping sauce base (apple cider vinegar - honey - fish sauce)
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek (optional)
- 1 or 2 heads baby bok choy (about ½ pound total)
- 1 carrot
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro or other leafy herb such as basil
- Slaw dressing base (coconut aminos - coconut vinegar - sesame oil)
Cooking the wings on a wire rack on a sheet pan allows the hot air in the oven to circulate around the wings, promoting even cooking and deliciously crisp, golden brown skin. Lining the sheet pan with foil makes cleanup a breeze.
Using sambal oelek is one of our favorite ways to lend heat and flavor to a dish. Sambal is an Indonesian term for a sauce made with chiles, and oelek refers to the mortar and pestle traditionally used to make it.
Calories: 530, Protein: 35g (70% DV), Fiber: 4g (16% DV), Total Fat: 31g (48% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 14g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 8g (40% DV), Cholesterol: 185mg (62% DV), Sodium: 1070mg (45% DV), Carbohydrates: 29g (10% DV), Total Sugars: 13g, Added Sugars: (honey): 6g (12% DV).
Contains: Fish, Tree Nuts
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.