In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chicken breasts and parsley-pecan pesto with roasted beet and orange
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, No Added Sugar, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 580 Calories/Serving
In this organic chicken dish, oven roasting brings out the sweetness of the beet and tames the acidity of the orange. Garlicky, nutty pesto is the yin to their yang. Hungry yet?
In your bag
- 1 organic red beet (about 10 ounces)
- 1 organic orange
- 2 sprigs organic fresh rosemary
- Chicken options:
- 2 organic boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 2 to 4 organic boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 5 ounces organic shredded kale or other leafy greens
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- Sunbasket parsley-pecan pesto (extra virgin olive oil - pecans - parsley - garlic - kosher salt - black pepper)
Nutrition per serving
Calories 580, Total Fat 36g (46% DV), Sat. Fat 5g (25% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 125mg (42% DV), Sodium 430mg (19% DV), Total Carb. 27g (10% DV), Fiber 8g (29% DV), Total Sugars 14g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 44g
Contains: Tree Nuts (pecan)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the beet and orange
Heat the oven to 400°F.
- Scrub the beet; cut the beet crosswise into ¼-inch-thick rounds.
- Using your hands or a sharp knife, peel the orange. Cut the fruit crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices. Discard any seeds.
- Strip the rosemary leaves from the stems and coarsely chop enough to measure 2 teaspoons [4 tsp]. Save any remaining rosemary for another use.
On one end of a sheet pan [on 1 sheet pan], toss together the beet, orange, rosemary, and 2 to 3 teaspoons oil; season with salt and pepper and spread in an even layer. Let stand while you prepare the chicken.
Prep and brown the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook until browned but not yet cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn the chicken and cook for 30 seconds. Transfer the chicken to the other end of the sheet pan [to a 2nd sheet pan]. Do not clean the frying pan.
Roast the chicken, beet, and orange
Transfer the sheet pan[s] to the oven. Roast until the chicken is cooked through and the beet and orange are tender and lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes for the chicken and 15 to 20 minutes for the beet and orange. If the chicken is done first, transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm. Meanwhile, prepare the kale.
Cook the kale
In the same frying pan used for the chicken, if dry, add 2 to 3 teaspoons oil. Warm over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if needed, stir in the kale, season with salt, and cook, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, until the kale is just wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper and more vinegar, if desired.
Transfer the kale, beet, and orange to individual plates. Spoon 1 to 2 tablespoons parsley-pecan pesto onto each plate, top with the chicken, and serve the remaining pesto on the side.
- Scrub the beet.
- Peel the orange by hand.
- Strip the rosemary leaves.
- Toss the beet, orange, and rosemary with oil and season.
- Spoon the pesto onto plates.