Chicken breasts and parsley-pecan pesto with roasted beets and oranges
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Lean & Clean
25 – 35 Minutes
Roasting oranges may become your new favorite culinary trick. For rich winter flavor, we pair them with rosemary and beets to accompany chicken breasts and our parsley pesto.
- ¼ pound red beets
- ¼ pound golden beets
- 1 orange
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 boneless skin-on chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 5 ounces chopped kale
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- Sun Basket parsley-pecan pesto (fresh parsley - pecans - olive oil - fresh garlic - salt - pepper)
Before adding the chopped rosemary to the beets and orange, pound or press the leaves on the cutting board with the back of a wooden spoon to release more of their flavorful essential oil.
Make It Leaner
Discard the chicken skin after browning the meat in Step 2 to ditch 40 calories and 5 grams of fat per serving.
Prep the beets and orange
- Scrub the red and golden beets and trim off the ends; cut the beets crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Using your hands or a sharp knife, remove the peel from the orange; cut the fruit crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices. Discard any seeds.
- Strip the rosemary leaves from the stems; coarsely chop enough leaves to measure 2 teaspoons.
Brown the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
Roast the chicken, beets, and orange
While the chicken, beets, and orange roast, prepare the kale.
Cook the kale
Calories: 540, Protein: 43g (86% DV), Fiber: 5g (20% DV), Total Fat: 31g (48% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 19g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 105mg (35% DV), Sodium: 330mg (14% DV), Carbohydrates: 17g (6% DV), Total Sugars: 16g, Added Sugar: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Tree Nuts
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.