Chicken and cauliflower with rosemary-roasted onion and oranges
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Lean & Clean
30 – 40 Minutes
Prepare your palate for this dynamic array of winter flavors. Tangy-sweet orange, piney rosemary, and red onion decorate this paleo, clean-eater’s chicken dish.
- 1 red onion
- 2 oranges
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 or 2 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- 10 ounces cauliflower “rice”
- 2 boneless skin-on chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup pitted Kalamata olives
Make It Leaner
In Step 3, remove the chicken skin after cooking to ditch about 40 calories and 5.5 grams of fat per serving.
Prep and roast the onion and oranges
- Peel the red onion and cut into ¼-inch-thick rounds.
- Cut 1 whole orange (including peel) in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
- Using your hands or a sharp knife, peel the remaining orange; cut the fruit in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons. Set aside for finishing the dish.
- Strip the rosemary leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
While the onion and orange roast, prepare the cauliflower.
Cook the cauliflower mash
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
While the cauliflower cooks, prepare the chicken.
Prep and cook the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season with salt and pepper .
While the chicken cooks, finish the roasted onion and orange.
Finish the roasted onion and orange
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Calories: 600, Protein: 42g (84% DV), Fiber: 8g (32% DV), Total Fat: 32g (49% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 62g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 10g, Saturated Fat: 4.5g (23% DV), Cholesterol: 105mg (35% DV), Sodium: 720mg (30% DV), Carbohydrates: 36g (12% DV), Total Sugars: 19g, Added Sugar: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.