In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chicken with shiitake "bacon," honey-mustard mayo, and root veggie fries
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 400 Calories/Serving
When you toss shiitake mushrooms with maple syrup, paprika, cumin, and cayenne, something magical happens: You get the smoky, savory, and jerky-like quality of real bacon. Consider it the perfect topping for these tender chicken breasts.
In your bag
- 1 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
- Sunbasket “bacon” seasoning (maple syrup - gluten-free tamari - sweet smoked paprika - cumin - cayenne)
- 1 organic parsnip
- 1 organic carrot
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- Chicken options:
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- Sunbasket honey-mustard mayo (Dijon mustard - paleo mayo - honey)
Calories 400, Total Fat 15g (19% DV), Sat. Fat 2.5g (13% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 85mg (28% DV), Sodium 470mg (20% DV), Total Carb. 41g (15% DV), Fiber 8g (29% DV), Total Sugars 14g (Incl. 7g Added Sugars, 14% DV), Protein 29g
Contains: Eggs, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the mushrooms for the shiitake “bacon”
Heat the oven to 400°F.
In a small sauce pot, combine the shiitake mushrooms and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain the mushrooms; discard the stems and thinly slice the caps.
In a small bowl, stir together the mushrooms and “bacon” seasoning. While the mushrooms are soaking, prepare the root vegetables.
Prep and roast the root veggie fries and shiitake “bacon”
- Scrub or peel the parsnip and carrot and trim the ends. Cut the parsnip and carrot lengthwise into quarters, then crosswise into 3-inch lengths.
- On one end of a sheet pan [on 1 sheet pan], toss the parsnip and carrot with 1 to 2 teaspoons oil; season with salt and pepper and spread in an even layer.
- On the other end of the sheet pan [on a 2nd sheet pan], spread the shiitake “bacon” in a single layer and drizzle with any liquid remaining in the bowl.
Roast, stirring halfway through, until the parsnip and carrot are lightly browned and just tender and the shiitake “bacon” is browned and has absorbed the liquid, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and toss the parsnip and carrot with the sherry vinegar; season to taste with salt and pepper. While the vegetables are roasting, prepare the chicken.
Prep the chicken
Place 1 or 2 chicken pieces at a time on a large piece of plastic wrap or waxed paper and sprinkle the meat with a few drops of water. Cover with another piece of plastic wrap or waxed paper and pound with a rolling pin or a heavy frying pan to flatten to an even thickness of about ½ inch. Remove the plastic wrap or waxed paper, transfer the chicken to a plate, pat dry with a paper towel, and season generously with salt and pepper.
Cook the chicken
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until lightly browned and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
Transfer the root veggie fries and chicken to individual plates. Top the chicken with the shiitake “bacon,” spoon on the honey-mustard mayo, and serve.
- Combine the mushrooms with water to cover.
- Stir the mushrooms and “bacon” seasoning.
- Arrange the mushrooms and root vegetables on the sheet pan.
- Time the cooking.
- Spoon on the honey-mustard mayo.