Chickpea and tomatillo stew with wilted dandelion greens
Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Lean & Clean, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
30 – 40 Minutes
If you’ve never tried dandelion greens before, you can thank us later. They give this vegetarian and gluten-free main course a nutritional boost and bright, peppery flavor.
- ¾ cup red rice
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1⅓ cups cooked chickpeas
- 2 ounces dandelion greens
- 1 lime
- Pozole spice blend (achiote - dried Mexican oregano - granulated garlic - cumin)
- 2 tablespoons diced mild green chiles
- ½ cup crushed tomatillos
- 2 or 3 red radishes
- Fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons roasted pumpkin seeds
To get dinner on the table even faster, in Step 2, start cooking the onion and poblano while you finish prepping the remaining ingredients.
Make it Leaner: You can easily slash 130 calories per serving by cutting your portion of rice in half. Adding ¼ cup extra water to the stew will increase the volume but leave you satisfied without upping the calories. Add ¾ cup more water, or 2¼ cups total, and you’ll not only have a portion leftover for tomorrow’s lunch, but will also reduce each serving to 410 calories.
Cook the rice
While the rice cooks, prepare the stew.
Prep the stew ingredients
- Peel and coarsely chop the yellow onion.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the poblano; cut the poblano lengthwise into ½-inch-wide strips and then crosswise into ½-inch pieces. Wash your hands after handling.
- Rinse the chickpeas.
- Trim the stems from the dandelion greens; coarsely chop the greens.
- Juice half the lime; cut half into wedges for garnish.
Cook the stew
When the stew is almost done, prepare the garnishes.
Prep the garnishes
- Trim the ends from the radishes. Cut them in half, then cut the halves into thin half-moons.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 21g (42% DV), Fiber: 16g (64% DV), Total Fat: 13g (20% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 5g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 1.5g (8% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 490mg (20% DV), Carbohydrates: 100g (33% DV), Total Sugars: 7g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.