Chickpea and tomatillo stew with wilted dandelion greens

In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.

Chickpea and tomatillo stew with wilted dandelion greens

Chickpea and tomatillo stew with wilted dandelion greens

Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Lean & Clean, Vegetarian, <600 Calories

2 Servings, 610 Calories/Serving

30–40 Minutes

If you’ve never tried dandelion greens before, you can thank us later. They give this vegetarian and gluten-free main course a nutritional boost and bright, peppery flavor.

Get delicious recipes with organic produce and clean ingredients delivered

View our meal plans

In your bag

1 bag serves 2 (2 bags serve 4)
Sunbasket is proud to source the organic ingredients indicated below. On the rare occasion we are unable to meet our organic promise, we'll put a note in your bag.
  • ¾ cup red rice
  • 1 yellow onion
  • 1 poblano pepper
  • 1⅓ cups cooked chickpeas
  • 2 ounces dandelion greens
  • 1 lime
  • Pozole spice blend (achiote - dried Mexican oregano - granulated garlic - cumin)
  • 2 tablespoons diced mild green chiles
  • ½ cup crushed tomatillos
  • 2 or 3 red radishes
  • Fresh cilantro
  • 2 tablespoons roasted pumpkin seeds

Nutrition per serving

Total Fat 13g (17% DV), Sat. Fat 1.5g (8% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 490mg (21% DV), Total Carb. 100g (36% DV), Fiber 16g (57% DV), Total Sugars 7g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 21g


2-serving instructions (4-serving modifications in red)

Wash produce before use


Cook the rice

In a small sauce pot, combine the red rice and 1½ cups lightly salted water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes.
While the rice cooks, prepare the stew.


Prep the stew ingredients

  • Peel and coarsely chop the yellow onion.
  • Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the poblano; cut the poblano lengthwise into ½-inch-wide strips and then crosswise into ½-inch pieces. Wash your hands after handling.
  • Rinse the chickpeas.
  • Trim the stems from the dandelion greens; coarsely chop the greens.
  • Juice half the lime; cut half into wedges for garnish.


Cook the stew

In a medium sauce pot over medium-high heat, warm 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the onion, poblano, and pozole spice blend, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion and poblano are lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the chickpeas, green chiles, tomatillos, and 1½ cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chickpeas are warmed through, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the dandelion greens and 1 tablespoon lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
When the stew is almost done, prepare the garnishes.


Prep the garnishes

  • Trim the ends from the radishes. Cut them in half, then cut the halves into thin half-moons.
  • Coarsely chop the cilantro.


Transfer the stew to individual bowls and garnish with the radishes, cilantro, and pumpkin seeds. Serve the lime wedges and rice on the side.