In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chickpea paella with artichoke hearts, bell pepper, and tomatoes
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Vegan, <600 Calories
2 Servings, 420 Calories/Serving
Ready for some Valencian deliciousness? Start with sizzling bell peppers, juicy tomatoes, and fragrant spices, then add veggie broth and watch as the arborio rice soaks up every ounce of flavor.
In your bag
- 1 organic red or other bell pepper
- 6 ounces organic grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- ⅓ cup cooked quartered artichoke hearts
- Sunbasket paella spice blend (granulated garlic - onion powder - sweet smoked paprika - turmeric)
- ½ cup arborio rice
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ½ cup organic peas
- 1 ounce pitted Castelvetrano olives
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
Calories 420, Total Fat 11g (14% DV), Sat. Fat 1g (5% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 670mg (29% DV), Total Carb. 76g (28% DV), Fiber 14g (50% DV), Total Sugars 8g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 13g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the vegetables
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; cut the pepper into 1-inch-wide strips.
- Cut the tomatoes in half.
- Rinse the chickpeas.
Start the paella
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the bell pepper, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown and soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes, artichokes, paella spice blend, and rice, season with salt and pepper, and cook without stirring until the rice is slightly translucent, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the vegetable broth and either ½ cup [1½ cups] water and ½ cup white wine (from your pantry) or a total of 1 cup [2 cups] water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook without stirring until the rice is almost tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
Finish the paella
To the pan with the rice, gently stir in the chickpeas and peas, then cook uncovered, without stirring, until the rice is tender, most of the liquid is absorbed, and the chickpeas and peas are heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. When the paella is almost done, prepare the garnishes.
Prep the garnishes
- Cut the olives in half, checking for any pits.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Transfer the paella to individual bowls, garnish with the olives and parsley, and serve.
- Rinse the chickpeas.
- Measure the water for the paella.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Garnish the paella.