In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chickpea and kale stew with poached eggs and za’atar
Mediterranean, Soy-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegetarian, Diabetes-Friendly
2 Servings, 430 Calories/Serving
We’ve got the secret to perfectly poached eggs—and how to serve them: atop a Middle Eastern vegetarian stew rich with za’atar, kale, and chickpeas.
In your bag
- 1 or 2 organic shallots
- 3 sprigs organic fresh oregano
- 1 bunch organic lacinato or other kale (about ½ pound)
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- Sun Basket tomato base (tomatoes - tomato paste - garlic)
- 2 organic eggs
- 2 whole grain naan
- ½ teaspoon za’atar
Za’atar is the name of both a spice blend and a fresh herb that tastes a bit like thyme crossed with oregano. The spice blend only rarely contains dried za’atar; ours includes sumac, fennel seeds, sesame seeds, and dried thyme. We love to sprinkle it on everything from flatbreads and eggs to avocado toast.
Calories: 430, Protein: 21g (42% DV), Fiber: 12g (48% DV), Total Fat: 14g (22% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 7g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5g, Saturated Fat: 2g (10% DV), Cholesterol: 155mg (52% DV), Sodium: 360mg (15% DV), Carbohydrates: 60g (20% DV), Total Sugars: 7g, Added Sugar: 2g (4% DV).
Contains: Eggs, Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Wash produce before use
Prep the vegetables
- Peel and thinly slice enough shallots to measure ¼ cup [½ cup].
- Strip the oregano leaves from the stems and coarsely chop enough to measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp]. Save any remaining oregano for another use.
- Strip the kale leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Rinse the chickpeas.
Cook the vegetables
Add the tomato base and 1 cup [2 cups] water and bring to a boil. Add the kale and chickpeas, reduce to a simmer, and cook until the kale is tender and the sauce is thickened, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and season with salt, if desired, and pepper.
While the vegetables simmer, cook the eggs.
Poach the eggs
While the eggs poach, warm the naan.
Toast the naan
- Measure the shallots.
- Strip and measure the oregano leaves.
- Strip the kale leaves.
- Rinse the chickpeas.
- Time the eggs.