In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chilaquiles verdes with soft-scrambled eggs, avocado, and queso fresco
Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Vegetarian
2 Servings, 560 Calories/Serving
Great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, this Mexican-inspired stovetop casserole is one of our favorite ways to eat tortilla chips.
In your bag
- 1 white onion
- 1 or 2 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- 1 serrano (optional)
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1¾ cups crushed tomatillos
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ⅔ cup cooked pinto beans
- 6 or 7 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1 avocado
- 4 pasture-raised organic eggs
- Tortilla chips
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 ounces queso fresco
Calories: 560, Protein: 16g (32% DV), Fiber: 9g (36% DV), Total Fat: 35g (54% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 15g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 7g (35% DV), Cholesterol: 165mg (55% DV), Sodium: 730mg (30% DV), Carbohydrates: 51g (17% DV), Total Sugars: 8g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Milk, Eggs
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV).
Wash produce before use
Make the salsa verde
- Peel the white onion and cut in half. Finely chop half; very thinly slice half for garnish.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure ½ teaspoon.
- If using the serrano, remove the stem, ribs, and seeds; finely chop the serrano. Wash your hands after handling.
Add the tomatillos and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens, 5 to 6 minutes.
While the salsa verde simmers, prepare the remaining ingredients and cook the eggs.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Rinse the beans.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro; divide into two equal portions, one for stirring into the chilaquiles and one for garnish.
- Cut the avocado in half lengthwise. Remove the pit, scoop out the flesh, and cut the flesh into ¼-inch-thick slices.
Cook the eggs
- Crack the eggs into a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper. Using a whisk or fork, lightly beat until just blended.
Finish the chilaquiles
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Rinse the beans.
- Scoop out the avocado.
- Crumble the queso fresco.
- Serve the meal.