Chiles rellenos with sirloin steak, pinto beans, and romesco
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Lean & Clean
20 – 30 Minutes
You won’t miss the breading or cheese in our spin on the South-of-the-border classic. Plus, everything comes together in 30 minutes or less.
- 10 ounces top sirloin steak strips
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 yellow onion
- ½ cup cooked pinto beans
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- 2 poblanos
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- Sun Basket romesco (roasted bell peppers - almonds - fresh garlic - sherry vinegar - sweet smoked paprika - olive oil - salt)
Make It Leaner
Use only half the romesco to cut out 128 calories and 11 grams of fat per serving. Save the rest for your next meal; romesco is delicious on scrambled eggs or salmon, as a dip for vegetable sticks, or whisked with some additional sherry vinegar for a flavorful and smoky red pepper vinaigrette.
Sear the steak
- Cut a small corner from the steak packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season generously with salt, pepper, and the coriander.
While the steak sears, prepare the onion and beans.
Prep and cook the onion and beans; finish the steak
- Peel and coarsely chop the yellow onion.
- Rinse the pinto beans.
While the onion and beans cook, prepare the poblanos.
Char and stuff the poblanos
While the poblanos roast, chop the cilantro.
Prep the garnish
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Protein: 43g (86% DV), Fiber: 12g (48% DV), Total Fat: 35g (54% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 22g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.5g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 100mg (33% DV), Sodium: 800mg (33% DV), Carbohydrates: 34g (11% DV), Total Sugars: 11g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Tree Nuts
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.