Chipotle chilaquiles with black beans and fried eggs
Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Vegetarian, Spicy
25 – 40 Minutes
Our chipotle chilaquiles are sure to please the gluten-free and vegetarians at your dinner party alike, even if just a party of one.
In your bag
- 1 red onion
- 1 chipotle chile in gluten-free adobo
- Sun Basket Yucatan spice blend (achiote powder - coriander - granulated garlic - sumac - cumin - allspice - cinnamon)
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup cooked black beans
- 2 or 3 red radishes
- 1 lime
- 1 avocado
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 2 pasture-raised organic eggs
- Tortilla chips
- 1½ ounces queso fresco
Smoky, spicy, and subtly sweet, chipotle chiles in adobo are a common ingredient in many Mexican and Southwestern recipes. They’re made by marinating smoke-dried jalapeños in a rich tomato-and-vinegar-based sauce.
Make the tomato sauce
- Peel and finely chop enough onion to measure 1 cup [2 cups]. Finely chop an additional 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] onion for garnish.
- If using the chipotle chile, coarsely chop the chile.
Add the tomatoes, ½ cup [1 cup] water, and as much chipotle chile as you like and season lightly with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens slightly, 8 to 10 minutes.
While the sauce simmers, prepare the black beans, garnishes, and eggs.
Prep the black beans and garnishes
- Rinse the black beans.
- Trim the ends from the radishes; thinly slice the radishes.
- Cut half the lime into wedges for garnish; save the rest for another use. [Cut 1 lime into wedges; save 1 lime for another use.]
- Cut the avocado in half lengthwise. Remove the pit, scoop out the flesh, and cut the flesh into bite-size pieces.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Fry the eggs
While the eggs cook, finish the chilaquiles.
Finish the chilaquiles
- Rinse the beans.
- Scoop out the avocado.
- Stir in the tortilla chips.
- Crumble the queso fresco.
Calories: 660, Protein: 19g (38% DV), Fiber: 16g (64% DV), Total Fat: 38g (58% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 19g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 7g (35% DV), Cholesterol: 215mg (72% DV), Sodium: 380mg (16% DV), Carbohydrates: 67g (22% DV), Total Sugars: 10g, Added Sugars: (Chipotle chile contains trace amounts of sugar): 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Milk, Eggs
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.