Chipotle chilaquiles with black beans and fried eggs
Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Vegetarian, Spicy
25 – 35 Minutes
Our chipotle chilaquiles are sure to please the gluten-free and vegetarians at your dinner party alike, even if just a party of one.
- 1 red onion
- 1 or 2 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- 1 chipotle chile in gluten-free adobo
- ¾ teaspoon Oaktown Yucatan spice blend
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup cooked black beans
- 2 or 3 red radishes
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 2 pasture-raised organic eggs
- Tortilla chips
- 1½ ounces queso fresco
Smoky, spicy, and subtly sweet, chipotle chiles in adobo are a common ingredient found in many Mexican and Southwestern recipes. They’re made by marinating smoke-dried jalapeños in a rich tomato-and-vinegar-based sauce.
Make the tomato sauce
- Peel and finely chop enough red onion to measure 1 cup. Finely chop an additional 2 tablespoons onion for garnish.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- If using, coarsely chop the chipotle chile.
Add the tomatoes, ½ cup water, and as much chipotle chile as you like and season lightly with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens slightly, 8 to 10 minutes.
While the sauce simmers, prepare the black beans and garnishes, then cook the eggs.
Prep the black beans and garnishes
- Rinse the black beans.
- Trim the ends from the radishes; thinly slice the radishes.
- Cut the avocado in half. Remove the pit, scoop out the flesh, and cut the flesh into bite-size pieces.
- Cut half the lime into wedges for garnish. Save the rest for another use.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Fry the eggs
While the eggs cook, finish the chilaquiles.
Finish the chilaquiles
Calories: 670, Protein: 19g (38% DV), Fiber: 16g (64% DV), Total Fat: 38g (58% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 19g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 7g (35% DV), Cholesterol: 215mg (72% DV), Sodium: 340mg (14% DV), Carbohydrates: 66g (22% DV), Total Sugars: 10g, Added Sugars: (adobe peppers contain trace amounts of sugar): 0g (0% DV). Contains: Milk, Eggs
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.