In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chicken wings barbacoa with salsa verde
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Spicy, Paleo, Soy-Free
2 Servings, 740 Calories/Serving
Barbacoa is Spanish for ‘barbecue.” Our Mexico-inspired, custom-blended chipotle barbecue sauce will have you licking your fingers (and you don’t need a grill). You can control the sauce’s heat by reserving some as a dip. A fast green salsa also helps cool things off. When you order this meal through Sunbasket, we provide the barbacoa sauce, but if you'd like to make it on your own, you'll find the recipe in the Chef's Tip at the end of this recipe.
In your bag
- ¾ pound sweet potato
- 1 red onion
- 1¼ pounds chicken wings
- Sunbasket barbacoa sauce (chipotle peppers in gluten-free adobo - tomato paste - maple syrup - Dijon mustard - apple cider vinegar - cinnamon - salt)
- Fresh cilantro
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 1 lime
- ½ teaspoon cumin
Calories: 740, Protein: 33 g, Total Fat: 43 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 23.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 10 g, Cholesterol: 120 mg, Carbohydrates: 55 g, Fiber: 8 g, Added Sugar (Maple Syrup): 6 g, Sodium: 1720 mg
Wash produce before use
Prep the sweet potato, onion, and chicken
- Trim the ends from the sweet potato; cut the potato in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
- Peel and cut the red onion crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices; separate the slices into rings.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season with salt and pepper.
Roast the sweet potato, onion, and chicken
On the other end of the pan, toss the chicken to coat with all but 2 tablespoons of the barbacoa sauce; reserve the remaining sauce for serving. Arrange the chicken in an even layer.
Roast, turning once halfway through, until the sweet potato and onion are tender and the chicken is cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes.
While the vegetables and chicken roast, prepare the salsa verde.
Make the salsa verde
- Finely chop the cilantro.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Juice half lime; cut half into wedges and reserve for serving.
Chef's Tip—make your own barbacoa sauce
1 chipotle pepper in adobo
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
½ tablespoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
In a food processor or blender, blend the ingredients until smooth. Season to taste.