In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chipotle turkey chili with cucumber-sumac salad
Diabetes-Friendly, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Carb-Conscious, Dairy-Free, Paleo, Lean & Clean
2 Servings, 480 Calories/Serving
Filled with hearty sweet potato, warming spices, and your choice of protein, this soul-warming bowl of chili is the perfect remedy for cold winter nights.
In your bag
- 1 organic red onion
- 1 organic sweet potato
- Sun Basket smoky chili spice blend (chili powder - coriander - cumin - sweet smoked paprika - granulated garlic)
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder (optional)
- Sun Basket tomato sauce made by Talluto’s (tomatoes - onions - garlic - olive oil - salt - spices)
- 1 organic cucumber
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon sumac
Calories: 480, Protein: 27g (54% DV), Fiber: 9g (36% DV), Total Fat: 25g (38% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 12g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 4.5g (23% DV), Cholesterol: 75mg (25% DV), Sodium: 690mg (29% DV), Carbohydrates: 42g (14% DV), Total Sugars: 17g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep your protein
- Ground meat: Cut a small corner from the ground meat packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
- Tofu: Pat the tofu dry with paper towels; cut into ½-inch cubes.
Prep the onion and sweet potato
- Peel and finely chop enough onion to measure ¼ cup [½ cup].
- Scrub or peel the sweet potato. Cut the potato into ½-inch pieces.
Cook the chili
In a large sauce pot over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add your protein, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring and breaking up the ground meat if using, until the protein is lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the smoky chili spice blend and as much chipotle chile powder as you like and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the sweet potato, tomato sauce, and 1 cup [2 cups] water and season with salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potato is tender, your protein is cooked through, and the chili has thickened, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. When the chili is almost done, prepare the salad.
Make the salad
- Peel the cucumber, if desired; cut the cucumber into ½-inch pieces.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro; set aside half for garnish.
In a large bowl, toss together the cucumber, 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil, half the cilantro, and as much sumac as you like. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the chili to individual bowls and garnish with the remaining cilantro. Serve the salad on the side.
- Measure the onion.
- Scrub the sweet potato.
- Measure the water for the chili.
- Assemble the salad.
- Garnish the chili with cilantro.