In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chorizo tacos with new potatoes, bell pepper, and salsa roja
Gluten-Free Friendly, Soy-Free, Spicy, No Added Sugar
2 Servings, 640 Calories/Serving
Spice up taco night with these punchy chorizo and potato tacos. Caramelized onion and bell pepper sweeten the deal, while our house-made salsa roja adds a refreshing finish.
In your bag
- 1 organic white onion
- ¼ pound organic red or gold new potatoes
- 1 organic red or other bell pepper
- ½ pound fresh loose chorizo (contains pork and spices)
- 1½ ounces queso fresco
- Sunbasket salsa roja (tomatoes - lime juice - onion - garlic - kosher salt - cilantro)
- 8 Mi Rancho 100% corn tortillas
Calories 640, Total Fat 30g (38% DV), Sat. Fat 10g (50% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 65mg (22% DV), Sodium 970mg (42% DV), Total Carb. 71g (26% DV), Fiber 7g (25% DV), Total Sugars 9g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 22g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the vegetables
- Peel and finely chop the onion; set aside ¼ cup [½ cup] onion for serving.
- Scrub the potatoes; finely chop the potatoes.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; finely chop the pepper.
Prep and cook the chorizo
- Cut a small corner from the chorizo packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chorizo and cook, stirring to break up the meat, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chorizo to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain. Spoon off all but 2 to 3 teaspoons fat from the pan.
Cook the vegetables; finish the chorizo
In the same pan used for the chorizo, add the onion and potatoes, season generously with salt and pepper, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, 6 to 8 minutes.
Add the chorizo and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and the chorizo is cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. While the vegetables and chorizo are cooking, prepare the rest of the meal.
Prep the remaining ingredients; warm the tortillas
- Crumble the queso fresco if needed.
- In a small bowl, season the salsa roja to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove 6  tortillas from the package; save the rest for another use.
On the stovetop directly over a flame, or in a dry medium frying pan over medium heat, warm the 6  tortillas, turning once, until just pliable and warmed through, about 30 seconds per side. Transfer to a clean kitchen towel, cover, and keep warm.
Set out the tortillas, chorizo and vegetables, queso fresco, salsa roja, and remaining chopped onion. Invite everyone to assemble their own tacos.
- Measure the onion.
- Scrub the potatoes.
- Crumble the queso fresco.
- Season the salsa roja.
- Count the tortillas.