In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Coconut chicken and curried cauliflower salad with grapes and almonds
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Carb-Conscious, Spicy, No Added Sugar, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 600 Calories/Serving
In Chef Chelsea’s paleo remix of Indian fried chicken, she coats chicken thighs in spices and shredded coconut for crispy, golden deliciousness.
In your bag
- 1 organic lime
- Sunbasket coconut-mayo base (paleo mayo - coconut milk - lemon juice - garlic - kosher salt - dried dill)
- ½ head organic cauliflower
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Sunbasket chicken spice blend (spices - paprika - turmeric - ground mustard - salt)
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- ⅓ cup shredded coconut
- ¼ pound organic red or other grapes
- 3 organic scallions
- 3 tablespoons dry-roasted almonds
Nutrition per serving
Calories 600, Total Fat 48g (62% DV), Sat. Fat 17g (85% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 110mg (37% DV), Sodium 450mg (20% DV), Total Carb. 22g (8% DV), Fiber 8g (29% DV), Total Sugars 10g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 27g
Contains: Eggs, Tree Nuts (almond, coconut)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Make the salad dressing; prep the cauliflower
- Zest and juice the lime, keeping the zest and juice separate. Set aside all but 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] lime juice for finishing the salad.
- Set aside 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] coconut-mayo base for the chicken.
- Cut away the core from the cauliflower; place the cauliflower, flat side down, and cut crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices.
In a large bowl, stir together the curry powder, lime zest, 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] lime juice, 2 teaspoons [1 TBL] oil, and all except 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] coconut-mayo base. Add the cauliflower and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate while you prepare the chicken.
Prep the chicken
- In a small bowl, stir together the chicken spice blend, remaining coconut-mayo base, and 1 to 2 teaspoons water.
- Place 1 or 2 chicken pieces at a time on a large piece of plastic wrap or waxed paper and sprinkle the meat with a few drops of water. Cover with another piece of plastic wrap or waxed paper and pound with a rolling pin or a heavy frying pan to flatten to an even thickness of about ½ inch. Remove the plastic wrap or waxed paper, transfer the chicken to a plate, pat dry with a paper towel, and season generously with salt. Rub the chicken on both sides with the spice blend mixture, then coat the chicken with the coconut.
Cook the chicken
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side for thighs, 4 to 6 minutes per side for breasts. Transfer to a plate. While the chicken is cooking, assemble the salad.
Finish the salad
- Remove any stems from the grapes. Cut the grapes in half; cut any large grapes into quarters.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions, keeping the white and green parts separate. Set aside the green parts for garnish.
- Coarsely chop the almonds.
To the bowl with the cauliflower, add the grapes, white parts of the scallions, and almonds. Stir in as much of the remaining lime juice as you like and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the chicken and curried cauliflower salad to individual plates. Garnish with the green parts of the scallions and serve.
- Juice the lime.
- Stir the salad dressing.
- Remove any stems from the grapes.
- Assemble the salad.
- Garnish with the scallions.