Coconut curried chicken with squash, mushrooms, and basil

In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.

Coconut curried chicken with squash, mushrooms, and basil

One-Pan Meal

Coconut curried chicken with squash, mushrooms, and basil

Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, <600 Calories, Protein Plus

2 Servings, 510 Calories/Serving

25–40 Minutes

We love one-pan meals like this easy, comforting coconut curry enriched by our house-made tomato base and studded with tender mushrooms and squash.

Get delicious recipes with organic produce and clean ingredients delivered

View our meal plans

In your bag

1 bag serves 2 (2 bags serve 4)
Sunbasket is proud to source the organic ingredients indicated below. On the rare occasion we are unable to meet our organic promise, we'll put a note in your bag.
  • Chicken options:
  • 4 chicken cutlets (about ¼ pound each)
  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
  • 1 organic yellow onion
  • 2 organic carrots
  • 1 organic yellow or other summer squash
  • 5 ounces organic cremini or other button mushrooms
  • 1 tablespoon curry powder
  • ½ cup coconut milk
  • Sunbasket tomato base (tomatoes - tomato paste - fresh garlic)
  • 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh basil

Nutrition per serving

Calories 510, Total Fat 17g (22% DV), Sat. Fat 4.5g (23% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 165mg (55% DV), Sodium 220mg (10% DV), Total Carb. 31g (11% DV), Fiber 6g (21% DV), Total Sugars 15g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 57g
Contains: Tree Nuts (coconut)

Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten.

*Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.


2-serving instructions (4-serving modifications in red)

Wash produce before use


Prep and brown the chicken

  • Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Cut the chicken crosswise into 2-inch-thick strips, then cut the strips crosswise into 2-inch pieces. Season generously with salt and pepper.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if needed, add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add more oil between batches if needed. Do not clean the pan.
While the chicken browns, prepare the vegetables.


Prep the vegetables

  • Peel and thinly slice enough onion to measure 1½ cups [3 cups].
  • Scrub or peel the carrots and trim the ends; cut the carrots on the diagonal into ¼-inch-thick slices.
  • Trim the ends from the squash; cut the squash in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ½-inch-thick half-moons.
  • Cut the mushrooms into quarters.


Cook the curry

In the same pan used for the chicken, if dry, add 2 to 3 teaspoons oil. Warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the onion, carrots, squash, and curry powder, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and the vegetables start to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the coconut milk, tomato base, and mushrooms and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add the chicken and any accumulated juices. Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
When the curry is almost done, prepare the garnish.


Prep the garnish

  • Strip the basil leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.


Transfer the chicken curry to individual bowls, garnish with the basil, and serve.
Kids Can!
  • Measure the onion.
  • Strip the basil leaves.
  • Garnish with the basil.