In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Coconut-lime meatballs with Thai cucumber and bell pepper salad
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Carb-Conscious, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 500 Calories/Serving
Forget dessert. Have coconut for dinner. In this Thai-inspired meal, we use coconut in three ways: to flavor the meatballs, sweeten the salad dressing, and add a toasty garnish.
In your bag
- 1 organic lime
- 1 organic romaine heart or other lettuce
- 1 organic cucumber
- 1 organic red or other bell pepper
- Sunbasket Thai dressing base (fish sauce - honey - coconut vinegar - ginger)
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- ⅓ cup shredded coconut
- Your choice of protein
Calories 500, Total Fat 31g (40% DV), Sat. Fat 16g (80% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 75mg (25% DV), Sodium 800mg (35% DV), Total Carb. 28g (10% DV), Fiber 8g (29% DV), Total Sugars 15g (Incl. 4g Added Sugars, 8% DV), Protein 32g
Contains: Fish (anchovy), Tree Nuts (coconut)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Make the salad
- Zest and juice the lime; set aside the zest for the meatballs.
- Trim the root end from the romaine heart; thinly slice the leaves.
- Peel the cucumber, if desired; cut the cucumber on the diagonal into ¼-inch-thick slices, then the slices lengthwise into ¼-inch-thick matchsticks.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; thinly slice the pepper.
In a large bowl, stir together the Thai dressing base, coconut aminos, and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] lime juice. Add the romaine, cucumber, and bell pepper and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let stand, stirring occasionally, while you prepare the rest of the meal.
Prep the meatballs
- Finely chop, press, or grate the garlic.
- Finely chop half the shredded coconut; set aside the remaining coconut for toasting.
- Cut a small corner from the ground meat packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
In a large bowl, combine the ground meat, garlic, chopped coconut, and lime zest. Season generously with salt and pepper and mix gently until just combined. Using wet hands, form the mixture into 1-inch meatballs.
Toast the remaining coconut
In a dry large frying pan over medium heat, toast the remaining coconut, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the coconut to a plate to cool. Wipe out the pan.
Cook the meatballs
In the same pan used for the coconut, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the meatballs and cook, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.
Transfer the salad to individual plates, top with the meatballs, and sprinkle with the toasted coconut. Drizzle any remaining salad dressing from the bowl over the entire dish and serve.
- Juice the lime.
- Stir the dressing.
- Assemble the salad.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Sprinkle the toasted coconut.