Coconut rice with okra and paneer
Gluten Free, Vegetarian
In Malaysia, coconut rice is enjoyed all day long, even at breakfast. Here it’s part of a hearty vegetarian dinner with protein-packed paneer cheese. Boiling the okra briefly before sautéing cuts down on the vegetable’s viscous nature and helps it cook up crisp.
- ½ ounce fresh ginger
- ¾ cup basmati rice
- ½ cup light coconut milk
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 10 ounces okra
- 6 ounces paneer
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- Fresh cilantro
- 1 lime
- 1½ tablespoons sambal oelek (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fried shallots
- Cut half of the ginger into thin slices and reserve the rest.
- Rinse the rice under cold water until the water runs clear.
- Trim the tops and tips of the okra.
- Cut the paneer into 2-inch cubes.
- Whisk 1 tablespoon water into the tamarind paste.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- Peel and finely chop the remaining ginger.
- Cut the lime into wedges.
Cook okra, paneer
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 650, Protein: 18g, Total Fat: 31g, Monounsaturated Fat: 12g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 12g, Cholesterol: 45mg, Carbohydrates: 77g, Fiber: 8g, Added Sugar: 0g, Sodium: 1010mg