In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Farro and corn salad with spiced chickpeas and toasted hazelnuts
Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Vegetarian, Diabetes-Friendly, No Added Sugar, <600 Calories
2 Servings, 530 Calories/Serving
Nutty, earthy, and chewy, there’s a lot to love about farro—one of our favorite whole grains. Here Chef Justine tosses it with sweet corn, arugula, and paprika-spiced chickpeas for an alfresco-worthy meal.
In your bag
- ½ cup farro
- 3 tablespoons dry-roasted hazelnuts
- 3 organic scallions
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 ear organic corn
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh dill
- Sunbasket chickpea spice blend (granulated garlic - coriander - sweet smoked paprika)
- 1 ounce organic baby arugula or other leafy greens
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1½ ounces ricotta salata
Calories 530, Total Fat 30g (38% DV), Sat. Fat 5g (25% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 25mg (8% DV), Sodium 310mg (13% DV), Total Carb. 52g (19% DV), Fiber 13g (46% DV), Total Sugars 5g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 18g
Contains: Milk, Tree Nuts (hazelnut), Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the farro
In a medium sauce pot, combine the farro and 1½ cups [3 cups] lightly salted water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until the grains are tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain, return to the pot, and set aside. Meanwhile, start preparing the rest of the meal.
Toast the hazelnuts
In a dry large frying pan over medium heat, toast the hazelnuts, stirring often, until lightly browned and fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate or cutting board to cool. Using the bottom of a bowl or cup, lightly crush the hazelnuts for garnish. Wipe out the pan.
Prep the vegetables
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions, keeping the white and green parts separate. Set aside the white parts for the chickpeas and the green parts for garnish.
- Rinse the chickpeas.
- Shuck the corn. Lay the ear flat on a cutting board. Cut lengthwise down one side to remove the kernels, then rotate the ear so the shaved side is on the bottom; continue cutting away the kernels on the remaining sides.
- Coarsely chop the dill.
Cook the chickpeas and corn
In the same pan used for the hazelnuts, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Stir in the white parts of the scallions and cook until starting to soften, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the chickpeas and chickpea spice blend and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chickpeas are heated through and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the corn and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Assemble the salad
In a large bowl, toss together the chickpea and corn mixture, farro, dill, arugula, sherry vinegar, and 1 to 2 tablespoons oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the salad to individual bowls. Using a peeler, shave the ricotta salata into thin strips or crumble it on top. Garnish with the hazelnuts and green parts of the scallions and serve.
- Measure the water for the farro.
- Rinse the chickpeas.
- Shuck the corn.
- Assemble the salad.
- Garnish with the hazelnuts and scallions.