Summer corn and quinoa chowder
Vegetarian, Soy Free
This simple chowder combines the traditional duo of corn and creamy Yukon Gold potatoes with red quinoa for extra texture and protein. Just a bit of yogurt stirred in at the end gives it the richness of a traditional cream-based soup without overloading on the fat. If you have a grill pan, grilled ciabatta provides a smoky note while you sop up the broth.
- 1 to 2 shallots
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves
- ½ pound red bell peppers
- 6 ounces Yukon Gold potato
- 2 ears corn
- Fresh dill
- 2/3 cup red quinoa
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1 ciabatta roll
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
Prep the vegetables
- Peel and thinly slice the shallot.
- Finely chop the garlic.
- Stem, seed, and cut the red pepper into ¼-inch pieces.
- Cut the potato into ¼-inch cubes.
- Shuck the corn; lay the cobs flat and cut the kernels from the cobs.
- Strip the dill leaves from the stems.
Make the chowder
Stir in the quinoa, pour in 4 cups water, and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook until tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the sherry vinegar, and season to taste with salt and pepper. While the chowder cooks, prepare the bread.
Toast the bread
- Cut the ciabatta roll in half, brush the cut sides with oil, and season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 620, Protein: 21 g, Total Fat: 20 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 11 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 g, Saturated Fat: 3.5 g, Cholesterol: 5 mg, Carbohydrates: 97 g, Fiber: 8 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 560 mg
Contains: wheat, milk