In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Cornmeal-crusted chicken with hot honey and warm nectarine-corn salad
Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Spicy, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 680 Calories/Serving
If you’re craving soul food, these crispy oven-roasted drumsticks will take you there. We balance the savory flavors with a bright nectarine salad and sweet-hot honey to bring it on home.
In your bag
- Sunbasket cornmeal blend (cornmeal - all-purpose flour - baking soda)
- Sunbasket Creole spice blend (sweet paprika - granulated garlic - onion powder - dried thyme - dried oregano - cayenne)
- 1 cup organic milk
- 1 organic egg
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 1 organic nectarine or other stone fruit
- 1 ear organic corn
- 3 ounces organic baby arugula or other leafy greens
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- Sunbasket hot honey (honey - Frank’s RedHot cayenne pepper sauce)
Calories 680, Total Fat 34g (44% DV), Sat. Fat 7g (35% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 185mg (62% DV), Sodium 800mg (35% DV), Total Carb. 57g (21% DV), Fiber 6g (21% DV), Total Sugars 19g (Incl. 7g Added Sugars, 14% DV), Protein 36g
Contains: Milk, Eggs, Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Prep the ingredients for the chicken
Heat the oven to 450°F. Line a sheet pan with foil or parchment paper and brush the foil or parchment lightly with oil.
- On a plate or shallow bowl, combine the cornmeal blend and Creole spice blend, season generously with salt and pepper, and stir with a fork; spread in an even layer.
- Measure ½ cup milk [use 1 container milk]; save the rest for another use.
- Crack the egg into a large bowl, add the ½ cup [1 container] milk, and season generously with salt and pepper. Lightly beat with a fork until just blended.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel.
Dredge and roast the chicken
Dredge the chicken in the cornmeal mixture, turning to coat; shake off any excess. Dip the chicken into the egg-milk mixture; let the excess drip off, then lightly press the chicken into the cornmeal mixture again, coating all sides; shake off any excess. Place the chicken on the prepared sheet pan and drizzle with 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil.
Roast, turning once halfway through, until the skin is crisp and the chicken is cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the salad.
Prep and cook the nectarine and corn
- Cut the nectarine in half and remove the pit.
- Shuck the corn. Lay the ear flat on a cutting board and cut lengthwise down the sides of the cob to remove the kernels.
In a medium [large] frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the nectarine halves, cut sides down, and cook, undisturbed. until starting to brown and soften, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board to cool slightly, then coarsely chop. Wipe out the pan.
In the same pan over high heat, add the corn and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender and lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Assemble the nectarine-corn salad
In a large bowl, toss together the arugula, nectarine, corn, sherry vinegar, and 1 to 2 tablespoons oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the nectarine-corn salad to individual bowls and top with the chicken. Spoon as much hot honey over the chicken as you like and serve any remaining hot honey on the side.
- Line a sheet pan with foil or parchment; brush with oil.
- Measure the milk.
- Shuck the corn.
- Time the cooking.
- Assemble the salad.