In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Costa Rican casado with fried eggs, black beans, and two salsas
Soy-Free, Dairy-Free, Family-Friendly, Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Lean & Clean
2 Servings, 550 Calories/Serving
Inspired by a Costa Rican classic, our casado includes rice, black beans, summer squash, and fried eggs, along with our version of the must-have Salsa Lizano.
In your bag
- ¾ cup long-grain white rice
- 1 organic tomato
- 1 organic lime
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- 1 organic jalapeño or other fresh chile (optional)
- 1 organic summer squash
- 1 teaspoon achiote paste
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- Sun Basket black bean spice blend (cumin - granulated garlic - coriander - dried Mexican oregano)
- 2 organic eggs
- Sun Basket Costa Rican salsa (water - mirepoix - lemon juice - champagne vinegar - dried ancho chile - molasses - kosher salt - coconut sugar)
Calories: 550, Protein: 18g (36% DV), Fiber: 10g (40% DV), Total Fat: 17g (26% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 11g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 3g (15% DV), Cholesterol: 155mg (52% DV), Sodium: 460mg (19% DV), Carbohydrates: 80g (27% DV), Total Sugars: 7g, Added Sugars: 1g (2% DV).
Contains: Eggs, Tree Nuts (coconut)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
- Rinse the rice.
While the rice cooks, start preparing the rest of the meal.
Make the tomato salsa
- Cut away the core from the tomato; coarsely chop the tomato.
- Juice half the lime; cut half into wedges for garnish. [Juice 1 lime; cut 1 lime into wedges.]
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- If using the jalapeño, remove the stem, ribs, and seeds; finely chop the jalapeño. Wash your hands after handling.
Prep and cook the squash
- Cut the squash lengthwise into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- In a large bowl, stir together the achiote paste and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil; season with salt and pepper. Add the squash and toss to coat.
Prep and cook the beans
- Rinse the black beans.
While the beans cook, prepare the eggs.
Fry the eggs
- Rinse the rice.
- Measure the water for the rice and beans.
- Juice the lime.
- Rinse the beans.