Lisa's Cranberry-orange Relish
Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Soy Free
15 - 20 Minutes
Test Kitchen Coordinator, Lisa Awrey, has been celebrating Thanksgiving with Chef Justine and her family for more than 20 years. Justine typically makes the turkey and Lisa always shows up with this classic cranberry relish. The recipe, adapted from The Joy of Cooking, is about as simple as it gets. Chop up an orange, peel and all, toss it in a food processor with fresh cranberries, sugar, and nuts. The flavor is spot on; acidic and not too sweet, it cuts right through the richness of the rest of the meal. The only caveat is not to over process it. The sauce should be chunky, not runny and thin. Put this on your list of things to make ahead of the feast. It’ll keep in the refrigerator for three to four days.
- ¾ pound fresh cranberries (One 10- to 12-ounce package)
- 1 medium orange - preferably navel
- ¼ cup pecans or walnuts
- ½ to ¾ cup sugar - to taste
- 4 to 6 coarsely chopped fresh mint leaves (for garnish) - optional
Prep the ingredients
- Rinse the cranberries and let drain. Discard any mushy berries.
- Cut the orange into quarters and remove any seeds. Don’t remove the peel.
Make the cranberry-orange relish