In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Creole chicken gumbo with summer squash over white rice
Dairy-Free, Family-Friendly, Soy-Free
2 Servings, 700 Calories/Serving
Creole chicken gumbo comes together quickly thanks to our signature gumbo spice blend. To save even more time, you can make it a day ahead.
In your bag
- ¾ cup long-grain white rice
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 2 organic celery ribs
- 1 organic green or other bell pepper
- 1 organic yellow or other summer squash
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Sun Basket gumbo spice blend (sweet paprika - granulated garlic - onion powder - dried thyme - dried oregano - cayenne)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Sun Basket spicy tomato sauce base (tomatoes - tomato paste - garlic - sweet smoked paprika - cayenne)
Roux is a mixture of equal parts fat and flour that are cooked together to act as a thickener and sometimes, a flavor enhancer, in soups, sauces, and stews. When the roux is white or blond in color, like in a white sauce for homemade macaroni and cheese, it has strong thickening abilities. As it toasts and deepens in color, it becomes more deeply flavorful but less strong as a thickener.
Make It Ahead
The gumbo (Steps 2 through 4) can be prepared up to 1 day ahead. Let cool, then cover and refrigerate overnight. When ready to serve, start cooking the rice (Step 1) and then gently rewarm the gumbo, adding 1 to 2 tablespoons water as needed to loosen the broth.
Calories: 700, Protein: 41g (82% DV), Fiber: 10g (40% DV), Total Fat: 21g (32% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 12g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 3g (15% DV), Cholesterol: 115mg (38% DV), Sodium: 480mg (20% DV), Carbohydrates: 86g (29% DV), Total Sugars: 14g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
- Rinse the rice.
While the rice cooks, prepare the rest of the meal.
Prep and sear the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Cut the chicken crosswise into 1-inch pieces; season lightly with salt and pepper.
While the chicken browns, start preparing the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Peel and coarsely chop enough onion to measure 1½ cups [3 cups].
- Coarsely chop the celery.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; coarsely chop the pepper.
- Coarsely chop the squash.
Cook the gumbo
Add the chicken and any accumulated juices, chicken broth, spicy tomato sauce base, and ½ cup [1 cup] water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, the vegetables are tender, and the liquid has thickened, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Rinse the rice.
- Measure the water for the rice and gumbo.
- Measure the onion.