In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Creole chicken gumbo with summer squash over white rice
Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 700 Calories/Serving
Creole chicken gumbo comes together quickly thanks to our signature gumbo spice blend. To save even more time, you can make it a day ahead.
In your bag
- ¾ cup long-grain white rice
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 2 organic celery ribs
- 1 organic green or other bell pepper
- 1 organic yellow or other summer squash
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Sunbasket gumbo spice blend (sweet paprika - granulated garlic - onion powder - dried thyme - dried oregano - cayenne)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Sunbasket spicy tomato sauce base (tomatoes - tomato paste - garlic - sweet smoked paprika - cayenne)
Nutrition per serving
Calories 700, Total Fat 21g (27% DV), Sat. Fat 3g (15% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 115mg (38% DV), Sodium 480mg (21% DV), Total Carb. 86g (31% DV), Fiber 10g (36% DV), Total Sugars 14g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 41g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
- Rinse the rice.
While the rice cooks, prepare the rest of the meal.
Prep and sear the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Cut the chicken crosswise into 1-inch pieces; season lightly with salt and pepper.
While the chicken browns, start preparing the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Peel and coarsely chop enough onion to measure 1½ cups [3 cups].
- Coarsely chop the celery.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; coarsely chop the pepper.
- Coarsely chop the squash.
Cook the gumbo
Add the chicken and any accumulated juices, chicken broth, spicy tomato sauce base, and ½ cup [1 cup] water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, the vegetables are tender, and the liquid has thickened, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Rinse the rice.
- Measure the water for the rice and gumbo.
- Measure the onion.