In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Creole-spiced salmon with tomatoey green beans and cheesy grits
Gluten-Free Friendly, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Pescatarian, No Added Sugar, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 740 Calories/Serving
Asian, Mexican, and Creole all in one dish? Leave it to Chef Sofia to blow your mind. She seasons salmon with Creole spices, green beans with lemongrass, and amps up grits with queso blanco.
In your bag
- 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ½ cup Mexican cheese blend (Monterey Jack - sharp cheddar - queso blanco - asadero)
- Sunbasket Creole spice blend (sweet paprika - granulated garlic - onion powder - dried thyme - dried oregano - cayenne)
- Fish options:
- 2 sustainably raised Faroe Islands skinless salmon fillets - tail-cut (about 5 ounces each)
- 2 sustainably raised Faroe Islands skinless salmon fillets - center-cut (about 5 ounces each)
- 2 wild Alaskan skinless halibut fillets (about 6 ounces each)
- 2 sustainably raised skin-on barramundi fillets (about 6 ounces each)
- 6 ounces organic green beans
- 1 organic Roma or other tomato
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Sunbasket lemongrass paste (lemongrass - extra virgin olive oil - garlic - ginger - turmeric)
Calories 740, Total Fat 44g (56% DV), Sat. Fat 10g (50% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 85mg (28% DV), Sodium 240mg (10% DV), Total Carb. 52g (19% DV), Fiber 8g (29% DV), Total Sugars 6g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 35g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the grits
- Finely chop, press, or grate the garlic; set aside half the garlic for the green beans.
In a medium sauce pot over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add half the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add 2 cups [4 cups] lightly salted water and bring to a boil. Add the cornmeal in a thin stream, whisking constantly. Reduce to a simmer and cook, whisking occasionally, until the cornmeal is tender and the mixture is creamy, 4 to 6 minutes.
Stir in the cheese blend, 1 to 2 tablespoons butter (from your pantry), if using, and 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] water, adding more water 1 tablespoon at a time as needed until the consistency is slightly runny. Remove from the heat, season to taste with salt and pepper, and cover to keep warm. While the grits are cooking, prepare the fish.
Prep and cook the fish
- Measure 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] Creole spice blend for the fish and 2 teaspoons [4 tsp] for the green beans; save the remaining spice blend for another use.
- Pat the fish dry with a paper towel; season lightly all over with salt and pepper and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] Creole spice blend.
In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking.
For salmon and halibut:
Add the fish and cook until lightly browned on the bottom side, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn and cook until the flesh is opaque and flaky, 3 to 5 minutes.
Add the fish, skin side down, and cook until the skin is crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn and cook until the flesh is opaque and flaky, 3 to 5 minutes
Transfer to a plate. Wipe out the pan. While the fish is cooking, prepare the green beans and tomato.
Prep and cook the tomatoey green beans
- Trim the stem ends from the green beans if needed; cut the beans into 1-inch lengths.
- Cut away the core from the tomato; coarsely chop the tomato.
In the same pan used for the fish, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the tomato paste, lemongrass paste, and remaining garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant and the tomato paste is starting to brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the green beans, 2 teaspoons [4 tsp] Creole spice blend, and 1 cup [1¾ cups] water and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are crisp-tender and the sauce has thickened slightly, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in the tomato and cook until starting to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the grits to individual plates; using the back of a spoon, make a large well in the center. Spoon the tomatoey green beans into the well, arrange the fish alongside, and serve.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Divide the garlic in half.
- Measure the water for the grits and green beans.
- Time the cooking.
- Using a spoon, make a well in the grits.