In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Crispy tempeh pita pockets with greens and tomato-onion jam
Diabetes-Friendly, Vegan, Mediterranean, Carb-Conscious, Dairy-Free
2 Servings, 510 Calories/Serving
In our plant-based take on a BLT, we stuff nutty tempeh, sweet tomato-onion jam, and peppery watercress into a pita pocket. It’s an elevated version of a classic fave.
In your bag
- ½ pound organic flax tempeh
- Sun Basket lemon-pepper marinade (lemon juice - gluten-free tamari - Dijon mustard - black pepper)
- 1 organic red onion
- 3 ounces organic grape or cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 bunch organic watercress
- 2 Atoria’s Family Bakery whole wheat pita breads
Calories: 510, Protein: 29g (58% DV), Fiber: 15g (60% DV), Total Fat: 22g (34% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 11g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 3g (15% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 630mg (26% DV), Carbohydrates: 48g (16% DV), Total Sugars: 9g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Wheat, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Start the tempeh
- Pat the tempeh dry with a paper towel. Cut the tempeh crosswise into very thin strips.
Make the tomato-onion jam
- Peel and coarsely chop the onion.
- Cut the tomatoes in half.
Finish the tempeh
Prep the watercress; toast and assemble the pitas
- Trim the root ends and any coarse stems from the watercress.
Fill each pita half with the tempeh and watercress and spoon on as much tomato-onion jam as you like.
- Pat the tempeh dry.
- Measure the water for the tempeh.
- Measure the sugar for the jam, if using.
- Time the cooking.
- Help assemble the pita pockets.