In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Crispy tempeh tenders with BBQ sauce and lemon-shallot green beans
2 Servings, 580 Calories/Serving
Not sure how to eat tempeh? Try these delicious tempeh tenders, coated with crisp panko bread crumbs and slathered with our smoky BBQ sauce.
In your bag
- ½ pound organic flax tempeh
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free tamari
- 1 or 2 organic shallots
- Sun Basket tempeh spice blend (onion powder - granulated garlic - sweet smoked paprika)
- ½ cup panko
- ¾ pound organic green beans
- 1 organic lemon
- Sun Basket vegan “Parmesan” (nutritional yeast - almond meal)
- Sun Basket BBQ sauce blend (tomato paste - apple cider vinegar - maple syrup - molasses - vegan Worcestershire - garlic - kosher salt - black pepper)
Calories: 580, Protein: 31g (62% DV), Fiber: 20g (80% DV), Total Fat: 22g (34% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 10g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 2.5g (13% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 770mg (32% DV), Carbohydrates: 63g (21% DV), Total Sugars: 20g, Added Sugars: 7g (14% DV).
Contains: Tree Nuts (almond), Wheat, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Start the tempeh; prep the flax “egg”
- Pat the tempeh dry with a paper towel. Crumble or cut the tempeh into ¼-inch pieces.
- In a shallow bowl, stir together the flaxseed meal and 6 tablespoons [¾ cup] water.
Prep the shallots; assemble the tempeh tenders
- Peel and thinly slice enough shallots to measure ¼ cup [½ cup]; set aside for the green beans. Finely chop enough of the remaining shallots to measure 2 tablespoons [¼ cup].
Bread and cook the tenders
- To the bowl with the remaining flax “egg,” add 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] water and stir until well blended. Season with salt and pepper.
- In another shallow bowl, season the panko with salt and pepper and spread in an even layer.
In the same pan used to soften the tempeh, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if needed, add the tempeh tenders and cook, gently turning once, until lightly browned and heated through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Gently transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate and season with salt and pepper. Add more oil between batches if needed. Wipe out the pan. While the tempeh tenders cook, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Trim the stem ends from the green beans if needed.
- Zest the lemon and juice half, keeping the zest and juice separate. Cut half into wedges for garnish. [Zest and juice 1 lemon; cut 1 lemon into wedges.]
- In a small bowl, season the vegan “Parmesan” generously with salt and pepper.
- In another small bowl, stir together the BBQ sauce blend and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] water; season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside for serving.
Cook the green beans
Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon zest and as much “Parmesan” as you like. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Crumble the tempeh.
- Stir the flax “egg.”
- Measure the shallots.
- Mash the tempeh mixture; form the tenders.
- Juice the lemon.