In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Crispy tempeh tenders with BBQ sauce and lemon-shallot green beans
Family-Friendly, Vegan, Dairy-Free
2 Servings, 570 Calories/Serving
Not sure how to eat tempeh? Try these delicious tempeh tenders coated with crisp panko bread crumbs and slathered with our smoky BBQ sauce.
In your bag
- ½ pound organic flax tempeh
- 3 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free tamari
- 1 or 2 organic shallots
- Sunbasket tempeh spice blend (onion powder - granulated garlic - sweet smoked paprika)
- ¾ cup panko
- ¾ pound organic green beans
- 1 organic lemon
- Sunbasket vegan “Parmesan” (nutritional yeast - almond meal)
- Sunbasket BBQ sauce blend (tomato paste - apple cider vinegar - maple syrup - molasses - vegan Worcestershire - garlic - kosher salt - black pepper)
Calories: 570, Protein: 34g (68% DV), Fiber: 20g (80% DV), Total Fat: 24g (37% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 3g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 3g (15% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 800mg (33% DV), Carbohydrates: 71g (24% DV), Total Sugars: 20g, Added Sugars: 7g (14% DV).
Contains: Tree Nuts (almond), Wheat, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Start the tempeh; prep the flax “egg”
- Crumble or cut the tempeh into ¼-inch pieces.
- In a shallow bowl, stir together the flaxseed meal and ½ cup [1 cup] water.
In a medium [large] frying pan, combine the tempeh, tamari, and 1 cup [2 cups] water and bring to a boil. Cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain the tempeh, transfer to a medium bowl, and pat dry with a paper towel. Wipe the pan dry. While the tempeh is cooking, prepare the shallots.
Prep the shallots; assemble the tempeh tenders
- Peel and thinly slice enough shallots to measure ¼ cup [½ cup]; set aside for the green beans. Finely chop enough of the remaining shallots to measure 2 tablespoons [¼ cup].
To the bowl with the tempeh, add the finely chopped shallots, tempeh spice blend, and half the flax “egg.” Season generously with salt and pepper. Using a fork, masher, or the bottom of a bowl or cup, thoroughly mash the tempeh mixture until well combined. Alternatively, combine all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until blended and the texture is coarse. Let cool slightly. Using wet hands, form the mixture into 2-inch balls and then flatten into ½-inch-thick rounds.
Bread and cook the tenders
- To the bowl with the remaining flax “egg,” add 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] water and stir until well blended. Season with salt and pepper.
- In another shallow bowl, season the panko with salt and pepper and spread in an even layer.
Working with 1 tempeh tender at a time, dip the tender into the flax “egg”; let the excess drip off, then gently press the tender into the panko, coating all sides.
In the same pan used to soften the tempeh, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if needed, add the tempeh tenders and cook, gently turning once, until lightly browned and heated through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Gently transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate and season with salt and pepper. Add more oil between batches if needed. Wipe out the pan. While the tempeh tenders are cooking, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Trim the stem ends from the green beans if needed.
- Zest the lemon and juice half, keeping the zest and juice separate. Cut half into wedges for garnish. [Zest and juice 1 lemon; cut 1 lemon into wedges.]
- In a small bowl, season the vegan “Parmesan” generously with salt and pepper.
- In another small bowl, stir together the BBQ sauce blend and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] water; season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside for serving.
Cook the green beans
In the same pan used for the tenders, warm 1 to 3 teaspoons oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Stir in the thinly sliced shallots, season with salt and pepper, and cook until starting to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the green beans, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are crisp-tender and the shallots start to caramelize, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] lemon juice and cook until almost evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes.
Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon zest and as much “Parmesan” as you like. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the tempeh tenders and green beans to individual plates. Serve the BBQ sauce blend for dipping and the lemon wedges and any remaining “Parmesan” on the side.
- Crumble the tempeh.
- Stir the flax “egg.”
- Measure the shallots.
- Mash the tempeh mixture; form the tenders.
- Juice the lemon.