In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Crustless chicken pot pie with mushrooms and carrots
Family-Friendly, Diabetes-Friendly, Soy-Free, Dairy-Free, Carb-Conscious, Mediterranean, Paleo, Gluten-Free, Lean & Clean
2 Servings, 430 Calories/Serving
Breaking news: you can have pie for dinner (and eat it too). Our tasty version of chicken pot pie skips the time-consuming crust and features a tender chicken-veggie filling with savory mushroom gravy.
In your bag
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 2 organic carrots
- 1 organic celery rib
- 3 ounces organic cremini or other button mushrooms
- Protein options:
- 10 ounces ground chicken
- 8 ounces Daring plant-based chicken pieces
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Sunbasket mushroom blend (arrowroot powder - porcini powder - onion powder - granulated garlic)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 ounces organic mixed greens or other leafy greens
Calories 430, Total Fat 19g (29% DV), Sat. Fat 3g (15% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 120mg (40% DV), Sodium 490mg (20% DV), Total Carb. 27g (9% DV), Fiber 6g (24% DV), Total Sugars 10g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 34g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the vegetables
- Peel and coarsely chop the onion.
- Scrub or peel the carrots and trim the ends; cut 1 carrot [2 carrots] into ½-inch pieces for the pot pie. Using the large holes of a box grater, coarsely grate the remaining carrot [2 carrots] for the salad.
- Cut the celery into ½-inch pieces.
- Cut the mushrooms in half lengthwise; cut any large mushrooms into quarters.
Prep and brown the chicken
- Ground chicken: Cut a small corner from the ground chicken packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
- Plant-based chicken: Pat the plant-based chicken dry with a paper towel; cut any larger pieces into 1-inch chunks.
In a medium [large] sauce pot over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken, season generously with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring to break up the ground meat if using, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Do not clean the pot.
Cook the vegetables; finish the pot pie
In the same pot used for the chicken, if dry, add 1 to 2 tablespoons oil. Warm over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add the onion, chopped carrot, celery, mushrooms, and thyme, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the mushroom blend and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add the chicken, vegetable broth, and ¼ cup [½ cup] water and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has thickened slightly and the chicken is cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. For a more brothy filling, add more water ¼ cup at a time until the desired consistency is reached. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. When the pot pie is almost done, prepare the salad.
Make the salad
In a medium bowl, stir together the red wine vinegar and 1 to 2 tablespoons oil; season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the mixed greens and grated carrot and toss to coat; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the chicken pot pie to individual bowls and serve the salad on the side.
- Scrub the carrots.
- Line a plate with paper towels.
- Measure the water for the pot pie.
- Stir the vinaigrette.
- Assemble the salad.