In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Curried chicken and grape salad with smashed cucumber and toasted pita
Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 480 Calories/Serving
Your entire family will come running for this curried chicken salad sweetened with grapes and piled on crispy pita breads, with a side of smashed cucumber and bell pepper.
In your bag
- 10 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast strips
- 1 organic cucumber
- 1 organic red or other bell pepper
- 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- 3 ounces organic red or other grapes
- 3 organic scallions
- Sunbasket curried yogurt (Greek yogurt - paleo mayo - onion - lemon juice - curry powder - kosher salt)
- 3 tablespoons dry-roasted cashews
- 2 Atoria’s Family Bakery whole grain pita breads
Calories 480, Total Fat 16g (21% DV), Sat. Fat 3g (15% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 85mg (28% DV), Sodium 520mg (23% DV), Total Carb. 51g (19% DV), Fiber 8g (29% DV), Total Sugars 14g (Incl. 1g Added Sugars, 2% DV), Protein 34g
Contains: Milk, Eggs, Tree Nuts (cashew), Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Poach the chicken
In a medium sauce pot, add the chicken and enough lightly salted water to cover by 2 inches, making sure the pieces are separated, and bring to a boil. Cook over high heat until opaque and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool, then using a fork, shred the chicken. While the chicken is cooking and cooling, prepare the smashed cucumber and bell pepper.
Smash the cucumber and bell pepper
- Cut the cucumber lengthwise into quarters, then crosswise into ¼-inch pieces.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper. Coarsely chop the pepper.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp].
In a resealable plastic bag, combine the cucumber, bell pepper, and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Using a wooden spoon, lightly smash the vegetables. Let stand while you prepare the rest of the meal.
Make the curried chicken and grape salad
- Remove any stems from the grapes; cut the grapes in half.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions, keeping the light and dark green parts separate. Set aside the dark green parts for garnish.
In a large bowl, stir together the curried yogurt, shredded chicken, grapes, and light parts of the scallions; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Prep the cashews; warm the pita breads
- Using the bottom of a bowl or cup, lightly crush the cashews for garnish.
On the stovetop directly over a flame, or in a dry medium frying pan over medium heat, warm the pita breads, turning once, until lightly toasted, about 30 seconds per side. Alternatively, toast them in a toaster oven.
Transfer the pita breads to individual plates and top with the curried chicken and grape salad. Garnish with the cashews and dark green parts of the scallions. Serve the smashed cucumber and bell pepper on the side.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press); measure the garlic.
- Smash the cucumber and bell pepper.
- Remove any stems from the grapes.
- Separate the light and dark green parts of the scallions.
- Assemble the chicken salad.