In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Ecuadorian chicken stew with bell pepper and brown rice
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 490 Calories/Serving
Inspired by the classic Ecuadorian and Peruvian dish seco de pollo, this chicken stew has a flavorful tomato base and is perfect for a chilly night.
In your bag
- ½ cup quick-cooking long-grain brown rice
- 10 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast strips
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 1 organic green or other bell pepper
- Sunbasket stew base (fire-roasted tomatoes - achiote paste - orange juice - onion - roasted red peppers - garlic - nutritional yeast - dried Mexican oregano)
- 1 organic lime
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
Calories 490, Total Fat 9g (12% DV), Sat. Fat 1.5g (8% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 75mg (25% DV), Sodium 680mg (30% DV), Total Carb. 68g (25% DV), Fiber 11g (39% DV), Total Sugars 11g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 33g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
While the rice cooks, prepare the stew.
Prep the chicken and vegetables
- Cut a small corner from the chicken packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper and the cumin.
- Peel and coarsely chop enough onion to measure 1 cup [2 cups].
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; cut the pepper into ½-inch pieces.
Cook the chicken stew
When the chicken stew is almost done, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients; finish the stew
- Juice half the lime; cut half into wedges for garnish. [Juice 1 lime; cut 1 lime into wedges.]
- Coarsely chop the cilantro for garnish.
- Measure the water for the rice.
- Measure the onion.
- Juice the lime.
- Garnish with the cilantro.