In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Eggplant and chickpea ratatouille with homemade flatbreads
Soy-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegan, Mediterranean, Family-Friendly
2 Servings, 540 Calories/Serving
For a twist on traditional French ratatouille, we stir in chickpeas and the Arabic spice blend baharat and serve it with easy homemade flatbread.
In your bag
- Flatbread mix (whole wheat flour - baking powder)
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- 1 organic globe eggplant
- 1 or 2 organic zucchini or other summer squash (about ¾ pound total)
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon baharat
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh mint
Calories: 540, Protein: 16g (32% DV), Fiber: 19g (76% DV), Total Fat: 22g (34% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 15g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 2.5g (13% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 50mg (2% DV), Carbohydrates: 74g (25% DV), Total Sugars: 18g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Make the flatbread dough
Prep the ratatouille ingredients
- Peel and thinly slice enough onion to measure 1 cup [2 cups].
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp].
- Remove the stem from the eggplant; cut the eggplant in half lengthwise. Cut each half lengthwise into ½-inch-thick strips, the strips lengthwise into ½-inch-wide sticks, and the sticks crosswise into ½-inch cubes.
- Trim the ends from the zucchini; cut the zucchini in half lengthwise. Cut each half lengthwise into ½-inch-thick strips, then crosswise into ½-inch pieces.
- Rinse the chickpeas.
Cook the ratatouille
Add the eggplant and ¼ cup [½ cup] water, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the zucchini and ¼ cup [½ cup] water if the pan is dry and cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant and zucchini are tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the chickpeas and cook until warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
While the ratatouille cooks, prepare the mint and flatbreads.
Prep the mint; shape and cook the flatbreads
- Strip the mint leaves from the stems; tear or coarsely chop the leaves for garnish.
In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Working with one at a time, add a flatbread and cook until lightly browned on one side, 1 to 2 minutes. Turn and carefully add 1 tablespoon water to the pan, cover, and cook until the flatbread is cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add more oil between flatbreads if needed.
- Make the flatbread dough.
- Measure the onion.
- Rinse the chickpeas.
- Strip and tear the mint leaves.
- Roll out the flatbread.