In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Eggplant and potato moussaka with lentil-walnut kima
Vegan, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Mediterranean, Family-Friendly, Soy-Free
2 Servings, 730 Calories/Serving
Our vegan version of the classic Greek comfort food is layered with red lentil kima sauce and topped with mashed potatoes and fresh parsley. Your yia-yia would approve.
In your bag
- 1 or 2 white potatoes (such as russet; about ¾ pound total)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 yellow onion
- ¼ cup red lentils
- ¼ cup walnuts
- Winter spice blend (cinnamon - allspice - cloves - nutmeg)
- Sunbasket marinara (tomatoes - fresh garlic - tomato paste - balsamic vinegar - olive oil - salt - black pepper)
- 1 globe eggplant
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
Calories: 730, Protein: 19g (38% DV), Fiber: 18g (72% DV), Total Fat: 38g (58% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 22g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 11g, Saturated Fat: 4.5g (23% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 290mg (12% DV), Carbohydrates: 83g (28% DV), Total Sugars: 18g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Tree Nuts
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and cook the mashed potatoes
- Peel the potatoes; cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, then cut each half crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
While the water heats and the potatoes cook, prepare the lentil-walnut kima.
Make the lentil-walnut kima
- Peel and coarsely chop the onion.
- Rinse the lentils.
- Coarsely chop the walnuts.
While the kima cooks, prepare the eggplant.
Prep and roast the eggplant
- Trim the ends from the eggplant; cut the eggplant lengthwise into 1-inch-thick planks.
Assemble and bake the moussaka
Remove from the oven and let cool slightly, then cut the moussaka into squares.
When the moussaka is almost done, prepare the parsley.
Prep the parsley
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Rinse the lentils.
- Drizzle the eggplant with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems.
- Garnish with the parsley.