In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Eggplant Parmesan with spinach salad
Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Soy-Free
2 Servings, 500 Calories/Serving
This gluten-free spin on an old-school Italian-American classic gets its flavor from fresh herbs and a ricotta blend; a simple spinach salad rounds out the meal.
In your bag
- 2 globe eggplants
- 1 or 2 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- 1 or 2 shallots
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh basil
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- Ricotta blend (fresh ricotta - Parmesan - milk - granulated garlic - nutmeg)
- 1 cup (about 5 ounces) Italian cheese blend (mozzarella - provolone)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 5 ounces baby spinach
Total Fat 30g (46% DV), Sat. Fat 11g (55% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 55mg (18% DV), Sodium 800mg (33% DV), Total Carb. 34g (11% DV), Fiber 11g (44% DV), Total Sugars 15g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 25g
Wash produce before use
Prep the vegetables and herbs
- Trim the ends from the eggplants; cut the eggplants crosswise into ¼-inch-thick rounds. Sprinkle the rounds with salt; place on a paper-towel-lined sheet pan. Let stand for 10 minutes, then pat dry.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Peel and finely chop enough shallots to measure ⅓ cup.
- Strip the oregano, parsley, and basil leaves from the stems; coarsely chop all the leaves together. Set aside 1 tablespoon mixed herbs for garnish.
Make the tomato sauce
Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the oregano, parsley, and basil.
While the sauce simmers, prepare the eggplant.
Cook the eggplant
Assemble and bake the eggplant Parmesan
Let rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.
While the eggplant bakes, prepare the spinach salad.
Make the spinach salad
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Strip the oregano, parsley, and basil leaves from the stems.
- Help assemble the eggplant Parmesan.
- Toss the salad.
- Garnish with the herbs and serve the meal.