Eggplant Parmesan with spinach salad
Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Soy-Free
40 – 50 Minutes
This gluten-free spin on an old-school Italian-American classic gets its flavor from fresh herbs and a ricotta blend; a simple spinach salad rounds out the meal.
- 2 globe eggplants
- 1 or 2 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- 1 or 2 shallots
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh basil
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- Ricotta blend (fresh ricotta - Parmesan - milk - granulated garlic - nutmeg)
- 1 cup (about 5 ounces) Italian cheese blend (mozzarella - provolone)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 5 ounces baby spinach
Sprinkling eggplant with salt and letting it sit for 10 minutes before cooking helps draw out the solanine, a chemical found in the flesh that can cause bitterness. Dab off any excess salt with a paper towel after the eggplant “sweats.”
Prep the vegetables and herbs
- Trim the ends from the eggplants; cut the eggplants crosswise into ¼-inch-thick rounds. Sprinkle the rounds with salt; place on a paper-towel-lined sheet pan. Let stand for 10 minutes, then pat dry.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Peel and finely chop enough shallots to measure ⅓ cup.
- Strip the oregano, parsley, and basil leaves from the stems; coarsely chop all the leaves together. Set aside 1 tablespoon mixed herbs for garnish.
Make the tomato sauce
Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the oregano, parsley, and basil.
While the sauce simmers, prepare the eggplant.
Cook the eggplant
Assemble and bake the eggplant Parmesan
Let rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.
While the eggplant bakes, prepare the spinach salad.
Make the spinach salad
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Strip the oregano, parsley, and basil leaves from the stems.
- Help assemble the eggplant Parmesan.
- Toss the salad.
- Garnish with the herbs and serve the meal.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 25g (50% DV), Fiber: 11g (44% DV), Total Fat: 30g (46% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 12g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5g, Saturated Fat: 11g (55% DV), Cholesterol: 55mg (18% DV), Sodium: 800mg (33% DV), Carbohydrates: 34g (11% DV), Total Sugars: 15g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.