In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Eggs in purgatory with spicy turkey, mushrooms, and kale
Gluten-Free Friendly, Keto-Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, Spicy, No Added Sugar, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 450 Calories/Serving
With spicy arrabbiata sauce, hearty vegetables, and your choice of protein, our version of the Italian classic “eggs in purgatory” is more like heaven on earth.
In your bag
- Your choice of protein
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 3 ounces organic cremini or other button mushrooms
- 3 ounces organic baby kale or other leafy greens
- Sunbasket arrabbiata sauce base (tomatoes - garlic - sweet smoked paprika - tomato paste - balsamic vinegar - extra virgin olive oil - onion powder - kosher salt - dried oregano - cayenne - black pepper - dried thyme)
- 2 organic eggs
Nutrition per serving
Calories 450, Total Fat 24g (31% DV), Sat. Fat 5g (25% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 255mg (85% DV), Sodium 300mg (13% DV), Total Carb. 20g (7% DV), Fiber 5g (18% DV), Total Sugars 8g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 38g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep your protein
Heat the oven to 425°F.
- Ground meat (including plant based): Cut a small corner from the ground meat packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
- Tofu: Pat the tofu dry with paper towels; cut into ½-inch cubes.
Prep and start cooking the vegetables and protein
- Peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Thinly slice the mushrooms.
In a large ovenproof frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the onion and mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Working in batches if needed, stir in the kale and cook until starting to wilt, about 1 minute.
Add your protein, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring and breaking up the ground meat if using, until your protein is lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes.
Cook the eggs in purgatory; finish the dish
Add the arrabbiata sauce base and ½ cup [1 cup] water to the pan and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. With the back of a spoon, form 2  wells in the sauce and crack an egg into each well.
Transfer to the oven and cook until the whites have set, the yolks are slightly runny, and your protein is cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes. If you prefer firmer yolks, cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer. Remove from the oven and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Divide the vegetables, sauce, and eggs between individual bowls and serve.
- Measure the oil for cooking the vegetables.
- Measure the water for the sauce.
- Time the cooking.