In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Ethiopian berbere chicken with turmeric potatoes and kale-apple salad
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, Spicy, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 560 Calories/Serving
For this delectable chicken dinner, Chef Sofia reached deep into her spice drawer to explore the exciting flavors of East Africa. What she created was a rich berbere spice blend featuring not one, not two, but 12 different spices.
In your bag
- 6 ounces organic gold or red new potatoes
- Sunbasket turmeric spice blend (turmeric - granulated garlic - coriander - cumin - ground ginger)
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- Sunbasket berbere spice blend (sweet paprika - onion powder - granulated garlic - fenugreek - coriander - black pepper - cayenne - cinnamon - allspice - ground ginger - nutmeg - cardamom)
- 1 small bunch organic lacinato or other kale (about ¼ pound)
- 1 organic cucumber
- 1 organic Gala or other apple
- Sunbasket tahini-sumac dressing base (tahini - honey - sumac)
Calories 560, Total Fat 30g (38% DV), Sat. Fat 4.5g (23% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 95mg (32% DV), Sodium 260mg (11% DV), Total Carb. 48g (17% DV), Fiber 10g (36% DV), Total Sugars 18g (Incl. 4g Added Sugars, 8% DV), Protein 29g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and start roasting the potatoes
Heat the oven to 425°F.
- Scrub the potatoes; cut the potatoes into ½-inch pieces.
Line a sheet pan with foil or parchment paper, if desired. On the prepared sheet pan, drizzle the potatoes with 2 to 3 teaspoons oil; season generously with salt and pepper and the turmeric spice blend and toss to coat. Spread in an even layer and roast until just starting to soften, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the chicken.
Prep the chicken; roast the potatoes and chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Season generously with salt and pepper and the berbere spice blend.
Remove the pan from the oven. Toss the potatoes and move to one end of the pan. Place the chicken on the other end of the pan. Roast, rotating the pan halfway through, until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are tender, golden brown, and starting to crisp, 15 to 20 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the salad.
Make the kale-apple salad
- Strip the kale leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Peel the cucumber, if desired; cut the cucumber into ½-inch pieces.
- Core and thinly slice the apple.
In a large bowl, stir together the tahini-sumac dressing base, 1 to 2 tablespoons oil, and 1 to 2 tablespoons water; season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the kale and cucumber and toss to coat. Gently stir in the apple. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the chicken and kale-apple salad to individual plates. Top the salad with the turmeric potatoes and serve.
- Scrub the potatoes.
- Drizzle the potatoes with oil and season.
- Time the cooking.
- Stir the dressing.
- Assemble the salad.