Falafel pita pockets with lemon-yogurt sauce
Vegetarian, Low Calorie
20 - 30 Minutes
Sun Basket’s Executive R&D Chef, Alan Li, has been on a mission to make the perfect falafel. We think he’s done it. Instead of using only chickpeas, he adds finely chopped cremini mushrooms for extra juiciness and umami. Just be careful not to overwork the blend; the beans and mushrooms should be coarsely mashed, not pureed. The resulting fritter retains its moisture when cooked and is laced with flavor. Brilliant.
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 2 scallions
- 2 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 1 pasture-raised organic egg
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- Falafel seasoning blend (whole wheat panko - flour - granulated garlic - cumin)
- 1 lemon
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1½ teaspoons harissa powder (optional)
- 1 Persian cucumber
- Fresh mint
- 2 whole wheat pita breads
- 2 ounces sunflower sprouts
- 2 tablespoons fried shallots (contain soy)
Prep the falafel
- Rinse the chickpeas.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; finely chop the scallions.
- Finely chop the cremini mushrooms.
Cook the falafel
While the patties cook, prepare the yogurt sauce and the garnishes.
Make the yogurt sauce
- Juice half the lemon; cut the remaining half into wedges for garnish.
Prep the garnishes; toast the pita breads
- Trim the ends from the cucumber; cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, then crosswise into thin half-moons.
- Strip the mint leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 390, Protein: 16g, Total Fat: 21g, Monounsaturated Fat: 10g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 3.5g,Cholesterol: 40mg, Carbohydrates: 37g, Fiber: 7g, Sugar: 4g, Added Sugars: 0g, Sodium: 450mg
Contains: milk, soy, wheat, eggs