In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Falafel pita pockets with lemon-yogurt sauce
2 Servings, 680 Calories/Serving
Coarsely mashed chickpeas and mushrooms are the secret to our masterfully crafted vegetarian falafels. Serve in pita pockets or on their own as part of a meze platter.
In your bag
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 3 scallions
- 2 ounces button mushrooms (such as cremini)
- 1 pasture-raised organic egg
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- Falafel seasoning blend (whole wheat panko - all-purpose flour - granulated garlic - coriander - cumin)
- 1 lemon
- 1 cucumber
- 5 or 6 sprigs fresh mint
- ⅓ cup Greek yogurt
- 1½ teaspoons harissa powder (optional)
- 2 whole wheat pita breads
- Sprouts (such as alfalfa or sunflower)
- 2 tablespoons fried shallots (contains soy)
A classic North African condiment, harissa is a bright, spicy blend of red chiles, cumin, and garlic. It’s used to add heat and depth to a variety of dishes, including salads, vegetables, kebabs, and even sandwiches.
Make It Ahead
The falafel patties (Step 1) can be prepared up to 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate the uncooked patties overnight, then proceed with the rest of the recipe the next day.
Calories: 680, Protein: 25g (50% DV), Fiber: 13g (52% DV), Total Fat: 34g (52% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 20g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 80mg (27% DV), Sodium: 430mg (18% DV), Carbohydrates: 71g (24% DV), Total Sugars: 6g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Milk, Eggs, Wheat, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prepare the falafel
- Rinse the chickpeas.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; finely chop the scallions.
- Finely chop the mushrooms.
Cook the falafel
While the falafel cooks, prepare the lemon-yogurt sauce and garnishes.
Make the lemon-yogurt sauce; prep the garnishes
- Juice half the lemon; cut the remaining half into wedges for garnish. [Juice 1 lemon; cut 1 lemon into wedges.]
- Peel the cucumber, if desired, and trim off the ends; cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, then crosswise into thin half-moons.
- Strip the mint leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Warm the pita breads
- Rinse the chickpeas.
- Juice the lemon.
- Strip the mint leaves.
- Stir together the lemon-yogurt sauce.