Thai turkey lettuce cups with rice noodles
Paleo-Friendly, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
20 – 30 Minutes
These Thai-inspired lettuce cups combine sweet, sour, and spicy flavors and textures into one scoopable gluten-free wrap that you can customize as you please.
- 10 ounces flat rice noodles*
- 1 pound ground turkey
- Sun Basket lemongrass paste (lemongrass - fresh ginger - fresh garlic - turmeric - olive oil - salt)
- 1 cucumber
- 6 scallions
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh basil
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh mint
- 1 lime
- 6 ounces shredded carrots
- Thai dressing base (fish sauce - maple syrup)
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (optional)
- 1 head butter lettuce
- ⅓ cup roasted cashews
Lemongrass is pretty much what its name says it is: a lemon-flavored grass. Sold by the stalk, it’s fibrous to the point of being woody and is almost always pounded or pureed to a paste before being added to a dish.
Soak the rice noodles
- Set the rice noodles in a large heatproof bowl.
While the water heats and the noodles soak, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Cook the turkey
- Cut a small corner from the ground turkey packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
While the turkey cooks, prepare the salad.
Make the salad
- Peel the cucumber, if desired, and trim off the ends; cut the cucumber into quarters lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch pieces.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions.
- Strip the basil and mint leaves from the stems; coarsely tear the leaves.
- Juice the lime.
Prep the lettuce and cashews
- Trim the root end from the butter lettuce; separate the leaves.
- Coarsely chop the cashews.
- Set the rice noodles in a bowl to soak.
- Strip and tear the basil and mint leaves.
- Juice the lime and toss the salad.
- Separate the lettuce leaves.
- Serve the meal.
Protein: 32g (64% DV), Fiber: 6g (24% DV), Total Fat: 28g (43% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 15g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 85mg (28% DV), Sodium: 1190mg (50% DV), Carbohydrates: 83g (28% DV), Total Sugars: 12g, Added Sugars (Maple Syrup): 6g (12% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: fish, tree nuts.
Paleo-strict nutrition per serving: Calories: 450, Protein: 28g (56% DV), Fiber: 4g (16% DV), Total Fat: 28g (43% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 15g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 85mg (28% DV), Sodium: 1060mg (44% DV), Carbohydrates: 26g (9% DV), Total Sugars: 12g, Added Sugars (Maple Syrup): 6g (12% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.