In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Farro soup with Italian sausages and kale
Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Carb-Conscious, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 530 Calories/Serving
Meet the ancestor of modern wheat! Farro is an ancient whole grain packed with fiber and antioxidants. Its unique nutty flavor and chewy texture balance the rich Italian sausages in this hearty soup.
In your bag
- ½ cup farro
- Sausage options:
- 2 fresh mild Italian pork sausages (about ¼ pound each)
- 2 fresh chicken sausages with roasted peppers and garlic (about ¼ pound each)
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- 1 bunch organic lacinato or other kale (about ½ pound)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
Calories 530, Total Fat 27g (35% DV), Sat. Fat 7g (35% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 60mg (20% DV), Sodium 1080mg (47% DV), Total Carb. 45g (16% DV), Fiber 11g (39% DV), Total Sugars 11g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 27g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the farro
In a medium sauce pot, combine the farro and 1½ cups [3 cups] lightly salted water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until the grains are tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain, return to the pot, and set aside. Meanwhile, prepare the sausages.
Prep and brown the sausages
- Pat the sausages dry with a paper towel; prick in a few places with a fork, if desired.
In another medium sauce pot over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon oil until hot but not smoking. Add the sausages and cook, turning occasionally, until browned but not yet cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board to cool slightly, then cut on the diagonal into 1-inch-thick slices. Do not clean the pot. While the sausages are cooking and cooling, prepare the vegetables.
Prep the vegetables
- Peel and coarsely chop enough onion to measure 1 cup [2 cups].
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp].
- Strip the kale leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Cook the soup
In the same pot used for the sausages, if dry, add 1 tablespoon oil. Warm over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add the onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the sausages, tomatoes, chicken broth, and 1 cup [2 cups] water and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sausages are cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes.
Stir in the farro and kale (the kale in batches if needed) and cook until the kale is just wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the soup to individual bowls and serve.
- Measure the water for the farro and the soup.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Measure the onion and garlic.
- Strip the kale leaves.
- Time the cooking.