In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Fennel-spiced pork over snap pea and radish salad
Diabetes-Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Carb-Conscious, Paleo, Mediterranean, Gluten-Free, Lean & Clean
2 Servings, 410 Calories/Serving
We call this dish our Farmers Market Special. And with peak-season veggies like sweet snap peas, peppery radishes, and fennel two ways, it makes total sense.
In your bag
- 1 organic red onion
- 1 organic fennel bulb
- 1 organic lemon
- 1 or 2 organic radishes (about 2 ounces total)
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh mint
- 5 ounces organic sugar snap peas
- Your choice of protein
- Sunbasket fennel spice blend (fennel seeds - sweet smoked paprika - granulated garlic - cumin - coriander)
Calories 410, Total Fat 22g (34% DV), Sat. Fat 4.5g (23% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 60mg (20% DV), Sodium 140mg (6% DV), Total Carb. 26g (9% DV), Fiber 10g (40% DV), Total Sugars 12g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 30g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the salad ingredients
- Peel and coarsely chop enough onion to measure ¼ cup [½ cup].
- Cut the fennel lengthwise into quarters and cut away the core; thinly slice the quarters lengthwise.
- Zest half the lemon, then juice both halves. [Zest 1 lemon; juice both lemons.] Set aside the zest for finishing the salad.
- Cut the radishes in half, then cut the halves into thin half-moons. Set aside for finishing the salad.
- Strip the mint leaves from the stems; coarsely tear the leaves. Set aside half for garnish.
In a large bowl, stir together the onion, fennel, and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] lemon juice; season to taste with salt and pepper. Let stand, stirring occasionally, while you prepare the snap peas.
Cook the snap peas; assemble the salad
In a dry large frying pan over high heat, add the snap peas in a single layer and cook, turning once, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to the bowl with the onion and fennel. Do not clean the pan.
To the bowl, add the radishes, lemon zest, half the mint, and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let stand, stirring occasionally, while you prepare your protein.
Prep and cook your protein
- Pork, chicken, or steak strips: Cut a small corner from the packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer the meat to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season lightly with salt and pepper and the fennel spice blend.
- Shrimp or scallops: Rinse and drain the shrimp or scallops. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate. Season lightly with salt and pepper and the fennel spice blend.
- Tofu: Pat the tofu dry with paper towels; crumble or cut into ½-inch pieces. Season lightly with salt and pepper and the fennel spice blend.
- Plant-based chicken: Pat the plant-based chicken dry with a paper towel; season lightly with salt and pepper and the fennel spice blend.
In the same pan used for the snap peas, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add your protein and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and just cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes for regular shrimp; 4 to 6 minutes for jumbo shrimp, scallops, pork, steak, tofu, or plant-based chicken; and 6 to 8 minutes for chicken.
Transfer the snap pea and radish salad to individual plates and top with your protein. Garnish with the remaining mint and serve.
- Juice the lemon.
- Strip and tear the mint leaves.
- Stir the onion, fennel, and lemon juice.
- Assemble the salad.
- Garnish with the mint.