In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Fesenjan pomegranate and walnut chicken
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 500 Calories/Serving
Celebrate Persian New Year with this chicken-centric paleo version of a traditional stew, featuring a naturally sweet and sour pomegranate sauce and earthy eggplant.
In your bag
- ¼ cup walnuts
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 1 organic Asian or other eggplant
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- ½ cup pomegranate juice
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Calories 500, Total Fat 28g (36% DV), Sat. Fat 4g (20% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 135mg (45% DV), Sodium 140mg (6% DV), Total Carb. 30g (11% DV), Fiber 8g (29% DV), Total Sugars 17g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 34g
Contains: Tree Nuts (walnut)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Toast the walnuts
Prep the remaining stew ingredients
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Peel and finely chop the onion; set aside ¼ cup [½ cup] for garnish.
- Remove the stem from the eggplant; cut the eggplant into ½-inch pieces.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro for garnish.
Cook the stew
Add the eggplant, walnuts, pomegranate juice, tamarind paste, cinnamon, and 1 cup [2 cups] water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant is tender, the chicken is cooked through, and the stew thickens, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Measure the onion.
- Measure the water for the stew.
- Garnish with the cilantro and onion.