In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Fettuccine “Alfredo” with Italian salad
Soy-Free, Family-Friendly, Vegetarian
2 Servings, 820 Calories/Serving
Break out the red-checkered tablecloth for a healthier riff on an Italian-American classic. Made with nuts and spices, the sauce is completely plant-based and the Parm is optional.
In your bag
- 7 ounces fresh fettuccine
- 1 head organic baby iceberg or other lettuce
- ¼ pound organic grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1½ ounces roasted red peppers
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Sun Basket Italian dressing (EVOO - red wine vinegar - champagne vinegar - sun-dried tomatoes - garlic - dried oregano - Dijon mustard)
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Sun Basket “Alfredo sauce” base (almond milk - cashews - nutritional yeast - kosher salt - granulated garlic - onion powder - black pepper)
- 1 teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
To turn this vegetarian dish into a vegan meal, use more reserved pasta cooking water or vegetable broth in place of the Parmesan and butter (you can also replace the butter with oil).
The iconic Alfredo sauce has a charming origin story. According to legend, Alfredo di Lelio, a restaurateur in Rome at the turn of the 20th century, created his eponymous dish when his wife bore a child, then promptly lost her appetite. To tempt her with something irresistible, he loaded up a traditional fettuccine al burro, or pasta with butter and Parmesan, with extra butter. It worked so well, he started serving the dish at his restaurant and entered culinary history.
Calories: 820, Protein: 27g (54% DV), Fiber: 5g (20% DV), Total Fat: 47g (72% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 24g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 15g (75% DV), Cholesterol: 100mg (33% DV), Sodium: 1000mg (42% DV), Carbohydrates: 83g (28% DV), Total Sugars: 7g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Milk, Eggs, Tree Nuts (almond, cashew), Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the fettuccine
While the water heats and the fettuccine cooks, prepare the salad.
Make the Italian salad
- Trim the root end from the lettuce; cut the lettuce in half lengthwise, then coarsely chop crosswise.
- Cut the tomatoes in half.
- Scrape off any seeds from the roasted red peppers; thinly slice the peppers.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop half the leaves for garnish.
Finish the pasta
- Set aside half the Parmesan for garnish.
- Salt the water for the fettuccine.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Assemble the salad.
- Divide the Parmesan in half.
- Garnish the fettuccine with parsley and Parmesan.