Fettuccine Bolognese with roasted baby broccoli
25 - 35 Minutes
Thanks to time-savers like pre-cut mirepoix and a pre-measured spice blend, this lush ragu is short on time in the kitchen but long on slow-cooked flavor. The secret is in the pancetta and milk, which add just the right amount of richness to the sauce. The side dish of roasted baby broccoli with preserved lemon balances the hearty pasta.
- 5 ounces whole grain fettuccine (wheat - rye - buckwheat - kamut - spelt - millet - barley - brown rice)
- 7 ounces baby broccoli
- Peeled fresh garlic
- Preserved lemon
- 5 ounces ground beef
- 3 ounces diced pancetta
- 1 cup milk
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup mirepoix (onions - carrots - celery)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Bolognese spice blend (dried oregano - nutmeg)
- ¼ teaspoon Aleppo chile flakes (optional)
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
Cook the fettuccine
Bring a medium sauce pot of generously salted water to a boil. Add the fettuccine; cook until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
While the water heats and the fettuccine cooks, prepare the baby broccoli.
Prep and roast the baby broccoli
- Trim the ends from the baby broccoli.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Remove any pulp from the preserved lemon; finely chop the peel.
While the broccoli roasts, start the Bolognese.
Brown the pancetta and ground beef
- Cut a small corner from the ground beef packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
Finish the Bolognese; chop the parsley
- Measure out ½ cup milk; save the rest for another use.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves for garnish.
Add the pancetta, beef, tomatoes, and ½ cup milk; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer; cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the fettuccine; toss to coat.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 870, Protein: 51 g, Total Fat: 45 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 18 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5 g, Saturated Fat: 15 g, Cholesterol: 105 mg, Carbohydrates: 75 g, Fiber: 6 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 850 mg
Contains: milk, wheat