In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Five-spice pork stir-fry with cabbage and mushrooms over jasmine rice
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, No Added Sugar, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 630 Calories/Serving
So what exactly is Chinese five-spice? It’s magic, that’s what. Made from five powerhouse spices—star anise, cinnamon, fennel, cloves, and Sichuan peppercorns—this unique mix adds instant flavor and depth to our stir-fry.
In your bag
- ½ cup jasmine rice
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 3 ounces organic cremini or other button mushrooms
- 1 wedge organic green or other cabbage (about 7 ounces)
- 3 organic scallions
- Your choice of protein
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- Sunbasket stir-fry blend (gluten-free tamari - toasted sesame oil - garlic - ginger)
Calories 630, Total Fat 22g (28% DV), Sat. Fat 4.5g (23% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 75mg (25% DV), Sodium 660mg (29% DV), Total Carb. 66g (24% DV), Fiber 6g (21% DV), Total Sugars 5g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 40g
Contains: Soybeans, Sesame
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
- Rinse the rice.
In a small sauce pot, combine the rice and 1 cup [1½ cups] water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork, cover, and keep warm. Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the meal.
Prep the vegetables
- Peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Cut the mushrooms into quarters.
- Cut away any core from the cabbage; thinly slice the cabbage.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions. Set aside for garnish.
Prep your protein
- Pork, chicken, or steak strips: Cut a small corner from the packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer the meat to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper and the five-spice powder.
- Shrimp or scallops: Rinse and drain the shrimp or scallops. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate. Season lightly with salt and pepper and the five-spice powder.
- Tofu: Pat the tofu dry with paper towels; cut into ½-inch cubes. Season with salt and pepper and the five-spice powder.
- Plant-based chicken: Pat the plant-based chicken dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper and the five-spice powder.
Start cooking your protein
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add your protein and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 1 to 3 minutes for shrimp; 2 to 4 minutes for scallops, pork, steak, tofu, or plant-based chicken; and 3 to 5 minutes for chicken. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pan.
Cook the vegetables; finish the stir-fry
In the same pan used for your protein, if dry, add 1 to 2 teaspoons oil. Warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the onion and mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the cabbage and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to wilt, 3 to 5 minutes.
Add your protein and any accumulated juices and half the stir-fry blend and cook, stirring occasionally, until the protein is cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with the remaining stir-fry blend.
Transfer the rice to individual bowls and top with the stir-fry. Garnish with the scallions and serve.
- Rinse the rice.
- Measure the water for the rice.
- Time the cooking.
- Garnish with the scallions.