In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Five-spice king salmon and Vietnamese noodle salad with strawberries
2 Servings, 760 Calories/Serving
California cuisine meets the classic Vietnamese noodle salad called bun bo xao in this beautiful salmon plate topped with sweet strawberries and toasted almonds.
In your bag
- 1 organic red onion
- 1 organic cucumber
- Sunbasket nuoc cham base (fish sauce - lime juice - sambal oelek - ginger - coconut sugar)
- 5 ounces dried soba noodles
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Fish options:
- 1 wild Pacific skin-on king salmon fillet (about 10 ounces)
- 2 wild Alaskan skinless halibut fillets (about 6 ounces each)
- 2 sustainably raised skin-on barramundi fillets (about 6 ounces each)
- Sunbasket five-spice blend (five-spice powder - turmeric - coriander)
- ½ pound organic strawberries
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh Thai basil
Calories: 760, Protein: 39g (78% DV), Fiber: 9g (36% DV), Total Fat: 36g (55% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 14g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.5g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 70mg (23% DV), Sodium: 1380mg (58% DV), Carbohydrates: 75g (25% DV), Total Sugars: 19g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Fish (anchovy), Tree Nuts (almond, coconut), Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the onion and cucumber
Bring a medium sauce pot of water to a boil for the soba noodles.
- Peel and thinly slice enough onion to measure ½ cup [1 cup].
- Peel the cucumber, if desired; cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
In a large bowl, stir together the nuoc cham base and 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] water, adding more water, if desired. Add the onion and cucumber and toss to coat. Let stand, stirring occasionally, while you prepare the rest of the meal.
Cook the soba noodles
To the pot of boiling water, add the soba noodles and cook until just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Transfer to a medium bowl, toss with 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil, and season lightly with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until chilled. While the noodles are cooking and chilling, toast the almonds and start preparing the fish.
Toast the almonds
In a dry large frying pan over medium heat, toast the almonds, stirring often, until golden brown and fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool. Do not clean the pan.
Prep and cook the fish
- Pat the fish dry with a paper towel (if using king salmon, cut in half crosswise); season the fish with salt and pepper and the five-spice blend.
In the same pan used for the almonds, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking.
For salmon: Add the fish, skin side down, and cook until the skin is crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn and cook until the flesh is opaque and flaky, 2 to 3 minutes
For halibut: Add the fish and cook until lightly browned on the bottom side, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn and cook until the flesh is opaque and flaky, 2 to 4 minutes.
For barramundi: Add the fish, skin side down, and cook until the skin is crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn and cook until the flesh is opaque and flaky, 2 to 3 minutes
Transfer to a plate. While the fish is cooking, prepare the remaining ingredients and finish the salad.
Prep the remaining ingredients; finish the salad
- Remove the green hulls from the strawberries; cut the berries into quarters.
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems; coarsely tear the leaves.
To the bowl with the onion and cucumber, add the chilled soba noodles, strawberries, and basil and toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the noodle salad to individual plates and top with the fish. Sprinkle the salad with the almonds and serve.
- Fill a sauce pot with water for the soba.
- Measure the onion.
- Time the fish.
- Strip and tear the basil leaves.
- Sprinkle the salad with the almonds.