Fresh pappardelle with peas, hazelnuts, and ricotta salata
15 – 25 Minutes
Quick-cooking fresh pasta stars in this easy vegetarian dish with spinach, peas, roasted hazelnuts, ricotta salata, and optional red chile flakes.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (optional)
- 1 or 2 shallots
- 2 or 3 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- 2 lemons
- 6 or 7 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup roasted hazelnuts
- 14 ounces fresh pappardelle
- 1 teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- 1 cup peas
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan
- 2½ ounces ricotta salata
Because of its higher moisture content, fresh pasta cooks much faster than dried and can clump together more easily as it cooks. Be sure to stir the boiling noodles a few times to keep them separated, and start checking if they’re ready after the first 3 minutes of cooking.
Heat the water; prep the ingredients
- If using, let the butter come to room temperature.
- Peel and finely chop enough shallots to measure ½ cup.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 2 teaspoons.
- Zest the lemons.
- Juice the lemons.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems.
- Coarsely chop the parsley leaves.
- Coarsely chop the hazelnuts.
Cook the pappardelle
While the pappardelle cooks, prepare the vegetables and finish the pasta.
Cook the vegetables; finish the pasta
Remove from the heat and stir in 2 tablespoons lemon juice, the butter, if using, or 2 tablespoons oil, and half the Parmesan (set aside the rest for serving). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Juice the lemons.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Garnish the pasta.
- Practice saying “pappardelle.”
Protein: 20g (40% DV), Fiber: 8g (32% DV), Total Fat: 28g (43% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 16g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.5g, Saturated Fat: 7g (35% DV), Cholesterol: 40mg (13% DV), Sodium: 390mg (16% DV) (does not include pantry salt; for reference, ½ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV), Carbohydrates: 74g (25% DV), Total Sugars: 6g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: Tree nuts, milk, wheat, eggs.